Without the Bitter, the Sweet isn't as Sweet

I woke up the next morning, memories of the previous day immediately flooding back. Luke had refused to talk to me all night, my Dad was much the same - answering as bluntly as he could. And Mike, well I'd sent him a few texts but I knew Mike and when he was fired up he wanted to be left alone. The first thing I did was get dressed and head next door, hoping a nights sleep would make things seem clearer. Vic answered the door.

"Hey" he said, shooting me a sympathetic smile.

"Hey Vic, is Mike in?" I asked, knowing he would be.

"In his room" he said, stepping aside to let me in.

He caught me by the shoulder, "I don't know how open he's going to be to talking, Holly".

I nodded and ignored his advice, proceeding to head up the stairs.

I knocked on the door, to receive no reply. I walked on in, even if he was getting changed it would be nothing I hadn't seen before. The room smelt of drink, cigarettes and sleep. The smell of cigarettes killed me, knowing I couldn't smoke them without harming the baby. Mike lay on his bed, looking half out of it, mindlessly playing his Xbox. His lip from yesterday was cut and swollen with a bruise around the side of his mouth.

"Hey" I said to him.

"Hi" He replied bluntly, continuing to focus on the TV.

I sat down next to him on the bed, as he shifted over to make some space. I decided to at least attempt to succeed where Vic failed.

"How are you after yesterday?" I asked.

"Just dandy" He replied sarcastically.

I shook my head, feeling the anger surge through me. He couldn't seriously be blaming me for this, could he?

"It was a stupid fight, hopefully we can all just forget it" I said.

For the first time since I had walked in, Mike had put his controller down and was actually looking at me.

"Holly I was just standing up for you, were you seriously just gonna sit there and take that from Luke?" He said.

"Mike he was just shocked, you know how he gets" I replied.

I watched his shake his head and exhale loudly.

"What do you want from me, Mike? You know I can't take sides here, he's family and you're my boyfriend" I shouted.

"Holly just get out, I seriously can't deal with that right now" He said, returning his attention to the TV screen.

"Oh yeah I forgot, you're the pregnant one and you're the one who doesn't need any unneeded stress" I shouted.

He ignored me, I watched as his anger became less and less easy to hide. Something about riling him up, came so easy to to me. It was interesting to watch, to get a reaction out of him. Especially during those times when he takes the silent approach, which he knew bothered me more than anything.

"And if you cared, tomorrow I'm going for a scan, for YOUR unborn child. 2pm, I guess I'll know where you stand then" I said simply, and left his house.

I walked out into the hall to see Vic sitting on the stairs, I walked past him so I could leave the house. He caught me by the shoulder:

"He'll be there Holly, I'll make sure of it" Vic assured me.

"Vic it's his problem, he knows if he's gonna keep his word then he has to be there" I told him.