I'd rather make Mistakes, than nothing at all

I sat in the car outside the clinic, my Dad sitting next to me in the driver's seat. Ever since I told him, we hadn't sat down to properly talk - not for the want of trying on my part. I thanked my Dad and opened the car, swinging my legs out.

"Do you, uh, want me to come in with you?" My Dad asked.

"I thought you didn't approve of all this" I asked.

My Dad sighed.

"Your just so young, I never though I'd be sitting in this position. You took me by shock and even though, I'm not necessarily happy about it - I support you. I'm always going to support you, you're my daughter" My Dad said.

"Thank you Dad, this isn't easy for me. I still don't know what I'm going to do. But this is a lot off my mind" I smiled.

"So, do you need a plus one?" He asked.

"I think I'm good, I think Mike's gonna be here" I replied.

"Okay baby, good luck" My Dad said, giving me a quick hug.

I stepped out of the car, the appointment was at 2:20pm. Prior to this, I had no doubt Mike would show up. He said he would be here for me and I believed him. But as the time got closer and closer to 2pm, I began to doubt myself. Was I just kidding myself? As my phone read 2:15pm, I gave up. I wasn't going to cry or get angry about it - if he cared then he would be here.

I pushed open the doors, leading into a waiting room. I signed my name in and sat down in the seats around the corner, tucked away from everyone else. Looking down, I avoided eye contact with all the eyes who were staring at me. I wondered what they were thinking, I'm sure some of them felt sorry for me - in the most patronising way. Whereas some others were looking at me, immediately assuming the worst. Teenage mother? She must sleep around.

The clock on the wall read, 2:30pm. No matter how on time for a doctors appointment you were, you always seemed to be kept waiting. Which in this case, wasn't a bad thing - I didn't want to admit it - but I was scared. I kept my eyes focused on the hedge outside, I felt sicker and sicker by the minute.

"Excuse me, do you know where Holly Ryback is?" I heard a familiar voice.

I walked around the corner and there he was.

"Mike?" I asked.

"There you are!" He exclaimed, seeming out of breath. "Did I miss it?".

I shook my head, smiling - the fact that he was here hitting me - he did care. I dragged him around the corner, back to the row of seats I was sitting at. When we made it, he threw his arms around me.

"I'm sorry I'm late..." He whispered, launching into an account of why he was late.

"Shhh" I smiled. "You're here now".

~

"That feels funny" I giggled, looking at Mike.

He sat next to the bed I was lying on, despite how nervous I was I tried to keep a smile on my face. This was quite the opposite with Mike, he shook his leg up and down - a nervous habit of his.

"It's gonna be okay" I said to him, grabbing his hand.

"Normally it's the other way around, the Daddy telling the Mummy it's gonna be okay" The nurse laughed.

"Do you hear that Mike, you're acting like a girl" I laughed, getting the reaction I wanted from Mike. Watching his worried expression break into a smile.

"Here it is, that's your baby" the Nurse announced, pointing at the screen.

I glanced around, I wasn't really sure what the whole big deal about the scan was. It was barely even recognisable as a baby, more like a lump of clay. Although I didn't get the emotional side, it was still pretty amazing - seeing what is going on inside me.

"That's so cool" Mike said, shuffling his chair closer.

I squeezed his hand, watching his face light up. Who knows, maybe we could do this.