Bruised And Scarred

I lay in the uncomfortable hospital bed, unable to find a comfortable position. I had never experienced pain like this in my life. My Dad and Mike were at either side of me, despite how he was trying to act like it would be okay for my sake, I could tell Mike was panicking. I watched as he paced back and forth, waiting on the Doctor to come back in. I wasn't a Doctor, but I knew something was wrong, even in TV shows early labour was never a good thing. 

Another wave of pain hit me, getting stronger and stronger each time. I let out a cry, tears streaming down my face. I had never experienced labour to be this bad, I guess this was karma for me thinking that women were just dramatic about it. I was beginning to black out from the pain, turns out my body didn't handle pain well. 

"Baby come on, keep your eyes open. It's gonna be okay, you'll be fine" Mike soothed, I felt his lips press against my forehead as I tried to keep my eyes open. 

For the next however long, I felt like I was in one of those half concsious states. You know when you feel like you are asleep yet can hear everything around you. Yet I just didn't have the strength to open my eyes, no matter how much Mike or my Dad begged me. The most I could do was mumble slightly. I felt myself burning up a few times as the pain began to get excrutiating. 

As I heard a new voice in the room I battled to open my eyes, but only managed a second at a time. Everytime I opened my eyes, I felt like I was looking through a tunnel. I spotted a middle age woman in the room, who I assumed was my Doctor. Her, Mike and my Dad spoke quietly, making it impossible for me to hear. Mike covered his mouth in shock, my body hit all time panic stations. A new nurse walked into the room and began wheeling my bed out. 

"Mike, what's going on? Mike tell me. Is he going to be okay?" I continuously asked. 

"I'm going to be with you the whole time, I promise" 

This was the last thing I heard as I drifted into unconciousness. 

 ~

"When will she wake up?" I heard Mike's voice ask. 

My head hurt and my eyes stung, like when you are woken up before you are ready.

"Any time now, it effects people differently" The other voice said.

"And what about my son?" Mike questioned. 

"We're doing tests now" The voice said. 

"You've been saying that for the past twenty minutes now" I heard Mike say, i could tell by his tone he was beginning to get agitated. 

"Michael come and sit down, we've just got to be patient" I now heard my Dad. 

I built up the strength to open my eyes. My throat was dry and I was achey all over. 

"Mike?" I croaked.