Centre Of Attention

"Please be quiet" I begged my crying son, who I had screaming his head off in my arms. 

I bounced him in my arms, patting his back - I was running out of ideas. He had been crying for nearly half an hour now. 

"C'mon, Daddy will be home any minute now" I muttered into his thickening brown hair. 

Mike had to go back to school, it was bound to happen sooner or later. He had put it off for way too long. One of us had to try and get a good education. I sniggered to myself, never thinking it would be Mike who would have the better education. I wasn't done with school forever, that wasn't a very fufilling life. But for now, I was doing some courses at home - well attempting to anyways. Right now, Jake was more important to me. 

I heard the door and open and thanked the Lord, a couple of seconds later Mike sauntered in, throwing his bag down on the sofa. 

"Hey, how are my favourite people?" He asked.

"I think that says it all" I said, motioning to Jake who was still wailing. 

I handed Mike Jake and flopped down on the sofa, I almost missed going to school and that was saying something. I watched as Mike played with our son, making silly faces at him as the crying subsided. He was always so good at that, Jake was apparently a Daddy's boy. 

"Luke was just behind me" Mike said. 

As he said it, my older brother entered the house. Despite the fact Luke didn't always approve of Mike, things were a lot better now, thankfully. They were never going to be best friends, but being neutral was enough for me. 

"Where's Corey?" I asked, noticing my little brother was missing. 

"He's here" Luke said with a confused expression. 

"Luke I've been here all day I think I would have realized" I said. 

"When we got to school he said he wasn't feeling well so he was going to walk home, so where is he?" Luke asked.

I felt the panic rise from inside me, thinking the worst. That he could have passed out on the way back or had been kidnapped or anything. 

~

"Thanks for looking after him, Vic. We really need to find Corey before Dad finds out" I told Vic. 

We were leaving Jake with Vic while Mike and I, and Luke went out looking for Corey. It was safe to say I was bordering on hysterical now. 

"Go to Uncle Vic" I cooed. 

"Hey buddy" Vic smiled. 

"Holly, calm down. He probably just bunked school with his friends or something. Don't tell me you've never done the same" Mike said calmly.