You Be The Anchor That Keeps My Feet On The Ground

"C'mon Jake, smile!" I heard Mike coo in a baby voice.

Nowadays, he did without even realizing it. A few days ago, Jake smiled and Mike missed it. Since then he has made it his personal mission to make him smile. In a way it just showed how much he's changed in the last seven or so months - and for the better too. A lot of the time, I found myself just watching him with Jake, how good he was with him. Jake was definitely a Daddy's boy and that was something I could not compete with nor did I want to. Mike had stepped up to the challenge and for that I was eternally grateful, he always here, for late night feeds, dirty diapers and everything. No-one could deny that he an amazing Dad. 

"Go on Jake, smile for Uncle Vic" I heard Vic add. 

I looked up, as the four of them, Vic, Mike, Tony and Jaime sat in a circle, with Jake in the middle. Each of them trying to make him smile in their own way. I caught a glance at Jaime making faces and had to suppress a giggle. In their own goofy way, these guys were perfect. I couldn't have asked for better friends, despite how soppy it sounded. When I first moved here, I was under the impression that it was the end of my life and how determined I was to go back "home". But this was my home now, these guys made it my home. Not that I would ever tell them, but I was so thankful that I had skived school that first day and that Jaime and Tony had offered to eat lunch with me. 

"You guys want a drink?" I asked, standing up from the couch. 

After four nods, I found myself in the kitchen. I glanced at my Dad who sat at the table on his laptop, whivh I assumed was something involving work. Our family had come a long way since moving here almost a year ago. We had gone through a lot of changes, a lot them not good. But it built our family. My Mom wasn't around much now, but my Dad made up for it best he could. Luke was still in contact with her and Corey was trying to sort things out, but I knew it'd be a while before I could forgive and forget. But that was okay, because right now I have all that I need. 

I began pouring cups of sofa and looking mindlessly out the window at our backyard. Out there my two brothers played a game of football. It had been a month since Corey got out of hospital and he's doing a lot better, especially now that he sees a counsellor. If I'm being honest, I still haven't forgiven myself for everything that happened with Corey - I probably never will, no matter how many times he tells me it wasn't my fault. But he was getting better and that's all that matters. Then there's Luke, despite being a hot head he always comes through in the end. He still has his moments, but he and Mike are on better terms, which is a relief on my part. I smiled sub-concsiously, realizing how everyone I loved the most were all under one room. 

Suddenly I felt arms snake around my waist, as Mike rested his chin on my head. 

"He smiled" Mike told me happily.

"Told you he would" I smiled, feeling Mike's warm embrace around me. 

I felt happier than I had done for a long time, because this was my life now. Mike, Jake and I were our own little family now - bound together for life - whether we like it or not. The prospect of spending the rest of my life with Mike was scary and quite honestly, but also made me want to get started, because there wasn't any other person I'd rather spend the rest of my life with.

**Wow guys so the end, thank you to everyone who read, commented and voted, it means so much! I'm quite sad to see this story go, I would love to write a sequel, but it depends on plot ideas and how many people are actually interested. The ending was pretty soppy, I wanted it to basically be a realisation for Holly and also to tie up loose ends and whatnot. I hope you all enjoyed, thanks so much!**