Call Me Hopeless

I walked over to my four best friends,

it was Friday night and we were having a movie night at Mike and Vic's. I glanced at Jaime and Tony who were both awkwardly sprawled across the couch, Vic who was curled up on the floor under a duvet and multiple pillows and Mike, who was waiting for me on the armchair.

Sometimes people ask me, 'isn't it weird only having guys for friends?'. And sure, maybe to some people it is.

But the thing about guys is, there is none of that worrying about whether they talk about you behind your back.

They were easy to be with, I got lucky when I moved here.

I curled up next to Mike, who cuddled me close. Admittedly, it was getting harder to get comfortable. Probably because I was now the size of a whale,

homing in on the eight month mark.

I rested my head on Mike's chest, I had been feeling washed out all day.

School wasn't exactly easy when you were carrying all this late, I hadn't felt right all day.

Maybe my Mom visiting had something to do with it. She was due to leave on Sunday and believe me: I was counting down the days. It would be a great weight off my shoulder. Of course she hadn't eased up on getting me to forgive her. But I was head strong, I didn't need her half as much as she thought I did.

"Look, look I love this part" Jaime exclaimed jumping up.

We all shared a fit of laughter.

About half way into the movie, I began getting uncomfortable. The baby began kicking a lot, which didn't help. It was all manageable until, a sharp pain shot up my stomach. I sucked the air in as it hit me, I guess it was one of those moments where I didn't want to believe reality, or I at least wanted to prolong it. By the time the second pain hit I let out a large gasp. The four of them turned round with shocked faces, I guess it was pretty obvious as we all hit panic station.

Vic grabbed my emergency bag - which my Dad had insisted on having for months now - whilst Mike helped me to the car. Amongst the pain, I had hits of adrenaline and not the good kind.

"Mike, he's not supposed to come for a month and a half" I cried.

"I know, I know. Maybe it's just the fake one, you know the braxton hicks or something" He murmured.

Another wave of pain hit me as I stood by the car door. A couple of seconds later I felt a splash at my feet. This had to be the real thing.

"C'mon we 'gotta go" Mike said, helping me into one side of the car and climbing in the other.

"Can you call my Dad?" I asked, through tears.

Vic nodded from the other side,

taking my phone. The rest of the journey to the hospital seemed like a blur. As the nerves took over me, I couldn't help but feel like something wasn't right.