Still Breathing

Tony drove the three of us to hospital, the last time I felt this scared I had just found out I was pregnant. I kept thinking the worst, that he'd gotten into a car while drunk or even worse. I couldn't do this without him, even if he wasn't much of a help at the minute.

As we pulled up at the hospital, I jumped out of the car, leaving Jaime and Tony to find a parking space. I ran up to the front desk, my heart beating fast.

"Hi could you tell me what room Mike Fuentes is in?" I said, slightly out of breath.

"Are you family?" The woman asked, giving me elevator eyes.

"I'm his girlfriend" I said.

"Family only" She replied.

"We're practically family, I'm pregnant with his baby - does that change anything?" I asked.

"I'll see what I can do" The woman grumbled.

~

I turned around a corner after walking down a long corridor, it was safe to say I was lost.

"Holly?" I heard a voice shout.

I turned around to see Vic, he looked terrified. I made my way over, he pulled me into a hug when he seen me. The look on his face made me even more worried.

"Is he okay? Vic please tell me he's okay" I cried, into his chest.

As we walked to Mike's room he explained the condition.

"He has alcohol poisoning, he was found passed out on some street. But because he was lying there for so long,

the doctors think he might have hypothermia. Also he keeps having seizures, I just had to get out of there" Vic said.

"He's strong, he'll get through it" I told Vic, even if I wasn't quite so sure.

We made it to his room, I looked through the windows. He was lying on the bed surrounded by doctors, attached to so many wires. He looked so pale, weak and smaller than I had ever seen him before.

"They're pumping his stomach" Mr Fuentes said, coming up behind us.

I got a call from Jaime, I told him everything. But how he couldn't come up as it was family only and thanked him and Tony for the ride. Vic looked so worried, then again it mustn't have been fun watching your little brother go on self destruct mode.

We were told it was going to be a long night, so we sat in the waiting room a few doors down from Mike's room.

"I know it doesn't seem like it now, but he wanted to be there for you" Vic said.

"In his own messed up way, I guess so" I chuckled grimly.

~

It was about two in the morning before the Doctors told us anything, I nudged Vic who was asleep in the chair beside me. He sat up, looking not properly awake.

"His condition is now stable, we have gotten all the toxin from his body by pumping his stomach so he has now stopped having seizures" The Doctor said.

He said some other medical talk, but that's all I gathered from his long paragraph. After seeing Mike, his parents went home to grab him some clothes and anything else he might need.

"Do you wanna go in first?" Vic asked.

"No, you go, you've been waiting longer" I smiled.

In reality I wanted to go in and see him first, but I didn't know what to say. Would he apologise for everything or would he just play the patient card? I listened to Vic and Mike's conversation.

"Does Holly know I'm in here?" I heard him ask.

"She's outside" Vic said.

"Really? After how shit I have treated her lately?" I heard him ask.

"She's a keeper, want me to go get her?" Vic said.

I scurried back to my seat, not wanting to be caught eavesdropping. Vic came out of the room.

"Holly, he wants to see you" He said.

"Alright" I said, swallowing the lump in my throat.