𝟢𝟣𝟤,𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞

TWELVE

I want to dance until my feet break off, my muscles explode, and I run out of breaths, just jumping my way to heaven.

Unfortunately, there's people in my life who think dancing can't be a life style, or that my teacher is so awful that he ruins lives, or who don't understand me.

But I feel like no one understands me.

No one understands how my mind works.

No one understands that I'm not bipolar or anything, but will get panicky over the smallest things in just a second.

No one understands how much dancing means to me and how much I'd give up for it.

No one understands how I will always try to be the nicest I can, even around people I don't like.

No one understands how I always try to see the worst things from the positive side, but it's how my mind works.

So the benefit of leaving Thomas hanging and not showing up at work is that I now know more about tours and traveling the world as a dancer.

The disadvantage is that I worried the shit out of a lot of people, because when I get home, I see both Thomas and Newt.

I glare at the clock. It's thirty past ten. Sonya must be upstairs, Dad has business dinners I know of, and Newt must've sent Mom upstairs so she wouldn't realize I'm not there.

"I'm sorry," is all I can say, trying hard not to cry at the looks on their faces. Newt's bursting with both worry and anger and I haven't known Thomas long enough to read his expression, but there for sure is a hint of anger and worry, too.

"Where the hell were you?" Newt jumps up and takes big steps toward me.

I shake my head. I don't want him close. I don't want him to worry or play the protective big brother or start yelling at me.

He sees it. Somehow, he always does and straight after that, I sense him calming his breaths down. The vibe around him gets softer and the hands that'd roughly been checking my body for injuries before now just linger on my shoulders.

"I didn't mean to. I swear I didn't mean to," I tell him, my voice cracking when he pulls me into a hug. "I didn't realize. I'm sorry."

Newt sits down on the couch as I'm still hugging him and I don't care that I'm almost crying on his lap right now. "What happened, love?" He rubs my back, the sweet whisper causing a shiver down my spine.

I've said it before. Love is so normal even Newt calls his sisters it, if he feels like it. Nothing romantic or weird to me at all. Just a nickname other than Twat, which it usually is between us siblings.

Thomas is still there, but he doesn't say anything so I can't bring myself to pay attention to him either.

"Janson invited Henry, Aris, and I over to watch a video tape of his coworkers from a few years ago. I didn't realize I had to work and when I did, I panicked," I say quietly.

"You went to Janson's house?" The boys bite out in unison.

I squeeze my eyes shut. "Look, I—"

"You thought it was a good idea to go somewhere with three grown men that you don't know at all?" Newt adds. "Rose, it could've—"

"But it didn't," I interrupt. I'm out of his arms before I know it, and realize I should've taken Minho's advice and lied. "Nothing went wrong except for the fact I forgot about work. My apologies you were left hanging and had to do all the work alone, Thomas."