𝟢𝟧𝟥,𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐨𝐩𝐨𝐥𝐲

FIFTY - THREE

"We're way too early," Chuck announces once we've arrived in the hospital. "But I guess that's good. I've got to give Thomas this anyways." He holds up his wooden figure. "I'm pretty sure he has hockey now."

"You can go," I tell him. "I'll wait here. Thomas and I aren't in the best... situation right now."

"Alright. I'll be back!"

It only takes a minute for Chuck to return.

Running.

"He's not there," he says, panting.

"Oh. Well, no need to panic about th—"

"But blood was."

I stare at the kid for what feels like forever, then my eyes start to widen. "What?"

"On the rink! Blood!" He pulls my arm. "Maybe he fell and is having a panic attack! Hurry, hurry."

We make our way to the rink as fast as possible. No one is there. Spats of blood indeed are on the ice. Worried, I check the changing room as Chuck inspects everything around the ring, but there's no sign of anything.

"Wait!" He stops me from walking further. "Here. Look."

On the ground, there's more blood.

Did he manage to get sliced up again? God.

"Follow it," I decide, and so we do.

Sometimes, there's a few feet without blood, then we can see the hints of red in the wood, leading all the way to the stairs.

The ballet attic. Janson might be there, too.

"Stay here," I tell him.

Of course, he doesn't obey and quietly follows me. I notice halfway up the stairs, sigh, and continue walking.

"Shh." I hold my fingers on my lips when the voices are starting to get clearer. We stop walking in the tiny hallway, only a few feet away from the door that leads to the ballet room.

"I've done what you want." That's Thomas's voice. Desperate and pleading. "I've done all of it. So stop this, Janson."

"You stole a serum, and there's another file we need. Give. Them."

"I've given you all the files I have!" There's a cry. It belongs to Thomas, too. "I've obeyed to everything you told me to do!"

"You were using me," an unknown voice. A young one.

"Gally—"

"You texted me only to take the serums over."

"What? No! I was trying to destroy them. Gally, don't listen to this—" Something, or someone, falls. Thomas groans, so I suppose it was him.

"Go back down," I tell Chuck, whispering. "Call an adult to help."

His eyes are big. Almost watery. "I can't leave Thomas alone."

Then, there's a thud. "Janson!" Thomas calls out. "You promised that if I— if I obey, you'd get her safe. I've done it."

"Yes," Janson says. "So I made her safe. But then you show up and start yelling that it's not okay."

"You took the fucking role from her! Of course I can't accept that! You call that keeping someone safe?"

Chuck and I share a glance as a bad feelings floods into my stomach. I should move. Do something, but I can't. I'm frozen in my place.