𝟢𝟧𝟢,𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐭

FIFTY

I didn't feel like seeing my family yesterday, after I told Vince my weight. Makes me feel kind of bad, but I know that if I would've seen Sonya and Newt's faces, I would've started sobbing.

After a good night of sleep, I do ask them inside. Just my siblings. Not my parents yet.

Mary gave me some food this morning. Said it was optional to eat, so I only took the blueberries. Not much, but something.

All the things that happened have taken my mind off Thomas so far, so that's good. Though that sharp pain in my chest will stay for what feels like forever.

"Hi," I tell Sonya quietly when she walks in, closing the door behind her.

"Hey." She manages a smile and sits down beside me.

"Newt's not here."

"You must be Sherlock." Sonya rolls her eyes. "He was busy."

Okay, I'm interested. And this is breaking the ice. I don't want to talk about the sad things immediately. "Busy doing what?"

"Eh." She rubs her nose. "You're not going to like it."

"Yell at Thomas?"

"...perhaps," she peeps. I pull a face. "I don't know! He said he was going to have a word with him but as he said that, he was somewhat freaking out from the news of you in the hospital. For sure was angry."

"Well, at least it'll be easier for me to get over him if his face got ruined by Newt." I tilt my head. "Kidding, I don't want Newt to beat Thomas up. And Newt won't do that to his friend."

"I hope," Sonya says.

I bite my lip. "We won't blame Thomas, alright? We can't let Newt blame him either. It's not his fault I'm here."

"But maybe the breakup caused you to—"

I shake my head. "We're not going to blame Thomas," I say again.

I'm not blaming him, at least. Yesterday... I just got upset he told Mom and Dad about my laxatives. It felt like he was just trying to make things worse, while maybe he only wanted to help. Maybe. I hope.

I just want him back. Have him there to comfort me. Lie in his arms. Get fingers running through my hair.

But he's gone. I wonder if he even knew I'm in the hospital before Newt showed up.

I kind of hope he did.

But mostly I hope that he'll show up and give a good explanation, if that one even exists.

"It's weird," Sonya then says. "You're lying in a hospital bed but you're full on talking and everything."

"Newt could also talk when he was in the hospital, Sonya. Everyone can unless they're in a coma or asleep."

"I know. But I mean... you seem happy enough. Well, if I put it like that it sounds weird. But you know what I mean."

"I've got a secret to tell you." I lean closer.

Her eyes get bigger and she nods, prepared.

My lips move to her ear. And then I almost yell the words, "I'm as happy as a slaughtered pig."

Sonya yelps. She jumps back, holding her ear. "Ow! There was no need to scream that!"

"But since Thomas left, I've barely screamed."

Okay, I think they put a drug in these wires because what am I saying?

"Ew!" Sonya shakes her head. "Never ever say something like that again, Rose!"