𝟢𝟦𝟪,𝐚 𝐦𝐢𝐫𝐫𝐨𝐫𝐛𝐚𝐥𝐥

FORTY - EIGHT

I don't feel so well when I wake up.

Maybe too much laxatives.

Whatever. I stand up with some groans, and make my way downstairs. Breakfast is waiting for me.

Everyone is gone this Friday. Newt has school, Sonya has, too, and Mom and Dad have w—

Work.

So fast that I almost hurt myself, I grab my phone and scroll all the way back to the email Janson sent me.

Janson.sprat@wckd.com

WCKD. That's where my father works. It's about sports and creating new products.

And the company Thomas keeps talking about. If Janson and Ava work there and it's what Gally is involved in... then it must be the same company.

Holy shit. How many information could we get out of my father from this?! Definitely more than from Janson! And then we can solve it, with the files Thomas has and his connection with Gally.

Fast, I type his number in. It takes a while for him to pick up, but both my excitement and anxiety overtop it. "Finally!" I let go of a breath. "Alright, so Janson sent me this email and in his name, there was the same company as my father works for. Meaning, we can get info from my father and maybe stop WCKD!"

It's silent for a long time on the other side.

And then I remember. I just don't love you anymore.

"Oh." My heart sinks. "Sorry- I, eh... I forgot. Sorry." Calm calm calm calm. "But if you want to, we could still talk to my father."

"We'll see."

He doesn't hang up this time. I guess that's good. But the tension during the silence is something I can feel through the screen.

"How're you?" I eventually ask.

"Alright. You?"

Awful. "Fine. Any plans this weekend?"

"No, not really," he says. He doesn't continue or anything, so we're left in another silence.

I swallow. "So... Friday Night at work today. Is Winston gonna come with his band again?"

"I don't know," he says. "I- eh, I'm busy. Gotta go."

"Alright." I close my eyes for a few seconds, inhaling sharply. "Bye, then. See you tonight."

The lights of Mamma Mia are darkening and lighting up repeatedly. I frown, but ignore it so I continue doing my job.

Ballet was... no dancing again. After a good twenty minutes of trying, Janson told me to stop.

I'll get a grip before the play, though. I know I will.

"Sorry, but I didn't order this," a man says kindly. "I think it's supposed to be another table."

"Oh." Realization hits me. "My apologies, sir."

Indeed, the food was for the table next to this one. I give them their food before I walk back to get other food, when the band that's currently playing starts to sound weird.

I stare at them for a while. The music comes out... glitchy. Luca must really have some problems with the electricity today.

"Rose, the plate is empty. You can't serve it."