𝟢𝟣𝟦,𝐫𝐞𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬

FOURTEEN

The doorbell rings just when I was about to eat the apple, yoghurt, and banana in front of me.

After yesterday, the guilt of barely eating had gotten so bad I felt the bile rise up in my throat, so I've decided to maybe not take it that hard on myself.

I leave the food hanging for later and open the door, surprise making me yelp. "Teresa!"

She looks up and down at me, and I shrink. I've gone from shorts all the time to longer pants, because it's September and slowly getting colder, and my shirt is a tight, blue one. "Hey, Rose. How're you?"

I do my best to smile, but the thought won't leave. She finds me fat. "I'm good, thanks. And you?" I glare at the cold outside world. "Come in, by the way! Unless you have plans soon."

Sooner or later, my smile is real. It's nice to know someone made the effort to come and see me and our conversation evolves fast, especially when we sit down on the couch.

"Want something to drink?" I ask in the middle of it. "We have likely everything."

"Do you have coke? Zero, please."

I get her a glass of the drink and water for myself, then sit back down. "So how's life been? Thomas mentioned you're good at science? Gonna use that for a future job?"

"I'm trying to get into a school to study for being a doctor," Teresa explains. "I'd love to make people feel better and things like that."

Understanding, I nod. "That's really nice." And I can't help myself, "Do you miss ballet?"

I see her hesitate, but then she shakes her head. "No. It was weird that I suddenly had ten more hours a week to spend, but I feel healthier now. There's no... people forcing me to do things or comparing myself to others."

My head tilts. "Hm. I've never thought of it that way."

She smiles. "Enough about me. How is it for you? I heard you got the role of Clara. Congratulations, by the way! It's really cool."

"Thank you." My cheeks catch a blush. I can't help it when I get compliments. "It's actually awesome. My partner's nice. Aris, you might know him. And I'm getting better at dancing and everything, so yeah."

Her whole face turns bright red, and the realization hits me fast, since I remember like ninety-nine percent of the things Thomas tells me.

"Aris is the one you like!" I peep, making a jump on the couch. "Right?"

Her face gets even redder. "Maybe. But I don't see him a lot since I quit and he barely speaks to me."

"I should totally ask him about you. Or at least mention you!" I suggest. Excitement hits me because I love helping couples out, though I haven't succeeded many times. "With your permission, of course."

She runs a nervous hand through her hair. "Well, okay. Fine. But don't make things too obvious."

"I won't," I promise.

A few minutes later, she's less red and we've gossiped all about the moment she had with Aris and why she fell for him specifically.

"What about the girls at ballet? Did they become nicer?" Teresa urges, scooting closer. "They better have."

I'm still smiling. "Yeah, they're great. I don't think they're really my friends but no one has said anything."

"Good." Her gaze softens.

"I just don't understand," I sigh out. The words leave my mouth before I know it. "They're so... skinny. They always dance perfectly and I don't understand how they do it."