𝟢𝟣𝟫,𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐮𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞

NINETEEN

"How was it at the fair?" Dad wonders the next morning. Once in a while, he takes the day off. And my nerves woke me up early, so even Sonya is still home when he asks the question.

"Really great," I say, smiling bright enough for the sip of water I take after replying to drape out of my mouth again. Blushing, I wipe my mouth.

You're right. I'm fucking jealous.

His words keep repeating in my head.

"What rides did you go in?"

"Bumper cars, fun slide, Ferris wheel... you know it." My water goes down the wrong pipe when I remind myself of the Ferris wheel.

I hate the idea of you dancing with him, though I know it's necessary. And even if I'd ever get the chance to replace him, I'd get so freaking weak from touching you that I'd fail immediately.

"You alright?"

I cough more water out when Newt walks in, and that only makes things worse. "Yup."

"She was just telling us about how awesome she had it at the fair with Thomas." Sonya rests her chin on her palms, smiling sweetly.

"Ah." Newt runs a hand through his messy, morning hair. "Was it worth it? Minho invited Winston and I for tonight."

"Very worth it." I nod so heavily it hurts my head. "I loved the Ferris wheel. It was beautiful."

I have my reasons for that, but that's none of their business, is it?

"You're beamin', so I'll believe ya." Newt shakes his cornflakes into a bowl. "What's on the program today?"

"Not much. Ballet and work, as always."

Ha, I'm going to Thomas's house at noon.

"And you?"

"Classes," he says. "Pass me a spoon?"

I hand him the spoon that was supposedly mine, but I changed my mind on eating breakfast. It's a useless meal anyways. I can live on dinners and lunches.

Unfortunately, I happen to do a sport that requires eating four hours before it, so that also means no lunch and after that sport I happen to have to work and it's a time waste to eat dinner in between. 

I'm a fool to myself, and I know it, but I like denying my feelings.

Just as much as I like watching the number on the scale drop.

❤︎︎

"Want a drink?" I'm sitting on Thomas's couch now. His parents aren't home, and apparently he has a cat I never knew of, who he also never mentioned.

"Water, please." And I continue petting the animal.

She's a sweetheart, really. A white cat with bright blue eyes. With a long tail and slim body. "Why'd you never say you have a cat? What's her name?"

"Because she hates me," Thomas says, his eyes piercing through the cat. "And it's a shameful thing because I ain't doin' anything wrong."