𝟢𝟤𝟨,𝐦𝐢𝐝𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐞𝐬

TWENTY - SIX

I'm kind of nervous right now. The 'we need to talk' is the worst thing, even after Thomas said I wasn't in trouble or anything like that.

So I'm stretching my legs against the wall until it hurts, all to get rid of the sickening feeling in my stomach. I don't want to vomit both dinner and that small piece of cake, along with the six laxatives I took, and then all the water I drank.

The cakes ended up nice. Somehow, no one spilled anything and Minho was more serious than I've ever seen him.

Now, they've decided that all three of them will sleep in Newt's room, so no one will be left out. And I know Thomas is going to show up, eventually.

Sighing, I dip my head in cold water and brush my hair before I bury myself in pajamas, which have gotten a little too big. I must buy new ones soon.

There's a knock when it's past midnight. I hesitate a few seconds, then open the door and am soon sitting on my bed with Thomas in front of me, the door locked.

"It was hard escaping them." He laughs quietly under his breath. "I doubt that Minho is even asleep, but we'll risk it."

I nod, also smiling. He indeed doesn't seem mad about anything. Just worried. "What'd you want to talk about?"

"Well." He notices it's getting serious and straightens his back, the worry increasing. "The other day, my dad's friend came over. I was, eh, watching that video of you dancing along with the other kids in your class. It's on YouTube."

Unaware of that video, I frown. Thomas just continues.

"He said he recognized you."

I'm not sure how to feel right now. "Who was the friend?"

"Vince Cooper. He said he knew you from when Newt had a checkup at the hospital."

I think Thomas is connected to everyone.  

"Oh. That's nice," I manage to say. It can't be that special Vince recognized me. "I know him, yeah."

"Alright." Thomas tenses up, his jaw tightening. "Vince asked if I'm your boyfriend. And I kind of denied a little too much a little too fast... so uh, he knows."

I shrug. My smile stays. If the fact he accidentally spilled our secret is what he wants to talk about, I don't have to worry. "That's alright. Someone would find out, eventually."

Sadly, he goes further. "When he realized, he told me about your visit to the hospital."

Something in my breathing hitches. Vince can't have told Thomas about my dizziness. I don't want Thomas to worry about me. "What'd he say?"

"He asked if I knew more about your dizziness and why you're often cold," Thomas explains. His tone only gets more serious by the second, and I don't enjoy it. "I said I wasn't aware of any of that in the slightest."

I avert my eyes. "Don't worry. It's not that bad. Low iron."

He either doesn't hear what I said, or doesn't want to hear it. "And I started thinking. Kind of connected all the dots."

He can't know. He'll stop me and make me gain weight and maybe tell Mom and Dad and if he does that they'll make me gain weight and I can't gain weight.

"So I was wondering," he still continuing, "what that diet really includes. The one you told me about. For ballet."

The panic starts to set in, but I keep my face straight. "I eat healthier. Drink water before every meal so I'll be full sooner, and don't take snacks unless it's an apple or cracker."