𝟢𝟣𝟪,𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐚𝐢𝐫

EIGHTEEN

The fair is enormous. Lights are flashing everywhere, a big crowd is walking around, there's an uncountable amount of rides, and I try not to look at the dozens of food trucks.

"Well." Thomas exhales, clearly taken aback the fair is this big, too. "Where do you want to go?"

"I don't mind. You can choose."

He pulls a face at me. "You should choose."

"Let's not have a fight about this," I decide. Otherwise, we might still be standing here two hours later. "Should we just walk around and see where we want to go?"

Thomas nods in agreement. "Sure. Sounds good."

We start walking around, our hands still intertwined. I don't mind, honestly. It's the third time holding his hand in one week and the other two times, I got an empty feeling when we let go.

As we walk, I try to think about Mom's words. That it's not Newt or the reputation Thomas has with Newt that I have to worry about. That it's for me to decide what I want this to be.

I know I want it to be a date.

"Thomas?"

Oh no no no no no no—

He looks at me, eyebrows raising.

"Never mind," I say fast. I can't just ask him if he agrees to this being a date! What if he says no? And would it would be so awkward if I asked.

"No, say it." His hand tightens around mine, and he smiles a smile that makes me break. 

"Isthisadate?"

It takes a few seconds for him to reply. In those seconds, I'm rethinking my life and only shake out of the horrible thoughts in my mind when he speaks.

He cocks his head to the side, slowly moving his eyes over me. "Do you want it to be?"

I realize we've stopped walking after my heart skipped a beat at his question. "Yes," I then say, and I surprise myself with how much confidence the word leaves my mouth. "I want it to be a date."

His smile brightens, which feels like a ton of weight is being lifted off my shoulders. "Then you're lucky I also want it to be a date."

Except, I have always found myself thinking there's multiple types of dates.

One to get to know each other, one after having a kiss to see if you want to continue, and a date while you're already in a relationship, so I'm not sure what this is.

Well, obviously not the last two, but the first one... I have the feeling Thomas and I already know each other well enough.

Whatever. I have to stop overthinking or I'll go crazy.

My eyes fall on the bumper cars. "Here! These are your favorite, right? Come on!" I pull his hand, quite excited myself, and before I know it, I'm sitting between Thomas's legs.

"You should take the wheel," I say. "You're the professional."

His chuckle vibrates between us, and he takes the wheel. Now, I'm really locked between his torso and the thing, and I feel his hot breaths against my neck, along with his body pressing against mine.