11

San hunched over his keyboard, the dull gleam of the monitor illuminating the tightness in his brow. Code cascaded down the screen, demanding his focus, yet his mind waged its own rebellion, slipping into the treacherous waters of memory he'd vowed to leave uncharted. Wooyoung's face, unbidden and persistent, flickered at the periphery of his thoughts like a persistent specter.

With a scoff tinged with self-derision, San muttered under his breath, "I think I love you." The words dripped with biting sarcasm. The kiss they had shared was a mistake, a lapse in judgment he couldn't afford. Wishing wooyoung would chase after him, was a bigger mistake.

A surge of annoyance at himself for letting things get that far with his ex-husband tightened his chest, a reminder of his own weakness.

San hates how much he cares for wooyoung. And he really needs to stop.

He had to think about Mina, to keep himself at peace. He couldn't risk breaking the boundaries of Wooyoung being her teacher. Regardless of their (what san wish was ) dead pass, Wooyoung isn't worth it.

ESPECIALLY, grating to San was the way his coworkers spoke about Wooyoung. With a reputation that preceded him, Wooyoung's name was synonymous with popularity in their circles, and this fact irked San.

San rolled his eyes and cursed under his breath, "Damn it," as he pressed the wrong button on his computer.

Glancing up, he caught Soobin's expectant look. The offer to join for a casual drink lingered between them—an invitation San would usually turn down without hesitation. His daily routine was fixed: work, pick up his daughter Mina, and spend the evening together. This predictable rhythm offered comfort and left hardly any space for spontaneous social gatherings like after-work bar visits with colleagues.

Yet, today felt different. It had been two weeks since he started working here, and the sense of being the new guy still lingered. He knew that building rapport with his colleagues was important, not just for the work environment but also for his own sense of belonging. Besides, he couldn't always be the one to say no—sometimes, he had to join in, to be part of the team.

San could finally indulge in a bit of a social life tonight without the usual side of guilt. Know knowing Mingi would watch Mina in a heartbeat , and for that, San was immensely grateful.

"Sure," he found himself saying to Soobin, both of them taken aback by his willingness. "Sounds good. It'll be nice to hang out outside of work."

Soobin's smile widened. "Great! It's just a casual thing at 'The Drunken Sail' around six. Not too far from here."

"The Drunken Sail," San echoed, committing the details to memory. "I'll be there."

As the day wore on, San found himself looking forward to the evening with a mix of anticipation and nervousness. It wasn't often that he allowed himself the luxury of a night out, and the prospect of socializing with his coworkers was both exciting and daunting.

The end of the workday arrived, and San found himself following a group of his peers out of the office and towards 'The Drunken Sail'. The bar had a cozy atmosphere, with ambient lighting and the murmur of conversations filling the space. He was greeted with friendly claps on the back and introductions to those he hadn't yet had the chance to get to know well.

As San hung out with his coworkers, he found himself laughing and swapping stories while they all had some drinks. He felt relaxed in a way he hadn't in a long time.

Sitting there with the people he worked with, San held a cold beer. He drank it slowly, liking the sharp taste and the way the fizz felt on his tongue. The beer helped him focus less on his worries and more on the fun chatter around him.