Chapter 23: A side character's plan on becoming popular.

[Chapter 23: A side character's plan on becoming popular.

Everyone is now at the gym.

There really was nothing important to do during Gym class. The teacher is rarely present and was busy coaching our school's sports clubs.

Our school's sports clubs are competitive ones, averaging at regional level and somethimes passing to the nationals.

You could even consider this period as free time except during conducting physical fitness test which only happens once a year.

So in short, we can do whatever during this one hour period, able to choose sports to our liking.

"Hey guys, come here."

Soba Hito, our class's Vice Representative called out to his friends and began to conduct a gathering.

They huddled together, numbering five of them in total including Soba-kun.

"Attention has been focused on Saito lately, to the point that us losers who barely get to shine have no spot to enter."

"Idiot. Don't call our group losers!"

"Shut up! You know that it's true."

"Tsk. At least I'm not alone."

"Yeah. Just accept it at this point my dude."

"Guys focus! We need to plan out a strategy to bring back the girls attention."

"You mean the one we never had?"

"That's why we need to take it!"

"Sure, if that's what you want to call it."

"Okay, here's the plan. We get the girls attention by outshining Saito-kun by showing our cool sides."

"We have one?"

"Of course we do. Hakuto, Kaido, if I remember correctly, you guys were part of the basketball club back in middle school."

"Yeah. And so...?"

"Shiki, and Yahiko. Your physical fitness test results weren't that bad either."

"Yeah, so?"

"And I know a little about shooting. At the very least, I know how to play."

"What are you getting at?"

"I concluded that we should beat Saito-kun in a game of basketball. Guys who can play sports really well are popular with girls, right? If we beat Saito-kun who's rising in popularity, his popularity will transfer over to us as we win."

"I... don't think it works that way... But I'm in. I also think this would get me some popularity points."

"What he said did make sense to some extent. I'm in."

"If you guys are doing it then sure."

"Whatever, let's just get this over with. I want to sleep. Yawn~"

"Then that's settles it. We're going to clime in popularity by winning in a game of basketball"

Is what Soba and his friends decided.

They decided they wanted to beat me in a game of basketball so they can shine in front of the others and get more popular, even if just a bit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In a certain corner, where a chuunibyou is standing.

'Let's see. By standing in the corner, I'm practically invisible. Just like Gaias and the others while they're in their bystander mode.'

"Yukiya-kun, aren't you going to play?"

Mocha-san inquired if I'm interested in playing during P.E period.

"No, I'm fine. I belong here in this corner." I replied, thinking that 'This is the best spot for acting as a background character.'

Meanwhile, Mocha-san processing my reply.

'Ah, I forgot. People like us who don't belong in any friend group have no choice but to sit on the corner, haha...'

Mocha-san felt dejected remembering she's somewhat still at a level of a loner.

Just us Mocha-san thought she wouldn't even participate, like she usually does in her old school, Class Rep Hitomi approached us.

"Mocha san. Do you want to play volleyball with us."

She asked Mocha-san if she wanted to play volleyball. Mocha seemed to have forgotten that she made a friend just very recently.

"S, sure!"

'Ah, did I answer too quickly. I hope my reply didn't look too desperate.'

She didn't expect to be invited so soon upon transferring, so she got too excited and answered almost immediately on impulse.

'Thi-This is the first time a friend invited me to a game.'

'I'm so excited that it feels like my heart is about to explode! ...No, wait ..That might just be my social anxiety acting up.'

She looked towards me and asked, "A-Are you fine being, alone...?"

"Yeah"

I replied, thinking 'There's nothing really dangerous here so I think I should be fine.'

[Thinking of supernatural dangers as potential threats.]

Mocha-san was actually asking if I would feel lonely if left alone, but I din't take it that way because I wasn't feeling lonely in the first place. In fact, I don't even know why she's following me in the first place.

Even right now, I'm currently marking my background character spots on the area that would be useful if I want to hide in plain sight.

I was intending to use this time to find all possible hiding spots in the gym, believing it would somehow be useful in the future.

That's what I thought I would be doing, however,

"Yukiya Saito. We challenge you to a basketball match."

Soba Hito, behind his back, his friends called out my name.

They were holding a basketball between their arms, as if just waiting and ready to be used on the court.

"Eh, me...?"

I replied in a clueless puzzled manner, while pointing on my face.

'How do you think about that! A response befitting a generic student character. Kukuku...'

That's right. Right now, I'm commencing phase three of being a generic high school student character; Operation Code Name: [BETA], commence.

[BETA] Student Character characteristics number 1: Always act clueless.

[BETA] Student Character characteristics number 2: Always act surprised and spam "Eh?" every chance you get.

"Yes, we challenge you to a game of basketball"

"Ah, sorry... I don't know how to play basketball."

"... I see."

The whole conversation fell into awkward silence.