Chapter 39: "Background Character Mode"

After our first period in the afternoon.

For some reason, all the teachers, including the staffs had been called to the faculty and are now conducting an emergency meeting.

They had notified us beforehand that the meeting might take for as long as reaching the releasing of classes.

For that reason, students like us are left unattended and are about free to do whatever we want during this remaining hours.

Mocha-san who was still keeping a close watch on me was still not done with her assessment. 'Just what type of character is Yukiya Saito-kun?'

A delinquent perhaps? A cold but caring character? Maybe there's a hidden side to him that shouldn't be seen on the surface.

She was still looking, observing, and kept glancing my way which I had noticed.

'If I keep on watching him like this, I'll eventually make a breakthrough and get to know which side of him is his true nature.'

Determined, Mocha-san continued her observation and glanced at me more.

I did say to Mocha-san to watch me beforehand so I didn't find it that strange, for her to be looking at me discreetly like a spy. She could just still be assessing my side character act.

Confirming that now, Mocha-san had acknowledged my ability, I felt more confident I could move along with my shadow hero plans.

I decided that now is the right time to show her what a shadow hero is as a whole.

During a time like this, where everyone is laxly enjoying their free time, free to do whatever they wish to do. What does a shadow hero do?

Answer: He secretly disappears from the background.

While no one was looking, I silently sneaks out of the classroom and made my shady exit.

'Where is he going?'

Mocha-san wondered, seeing me walk out the door during class hours.

Others didn't noticed I had already left, but Mocha-san who was keeping an eye on me saw everything.

I purposely let her see my shady exit because, you can think of it as part of planting the seeds of suspicion for future setups as a mysterious character known as a shadow hero.

By future I meant that, if one day when the timing is ripe, and it was already the time to reveal my identity as the existence whose name was known as "Phantom", they can look back on this moment, Why did he leave the classroom that day? Where's he going all this time? They'll look back on this moment and realize I was already secretly moving things from the background since then.

'Kukuku. Suspicious exit success.'

I successfully left the classroom without catching an eye from my classmates, with Mocha-san as an exemption.

'What is he up to now?'

Mocha-sans curiosity grew. Just as intended.

She began to get carious as to why I left the room even though it was still class hours.

Mocha-san's curiosity got the best of her and decided to secretly follow me on my way out of the classroom.

She thinks to herself that this might lead to a clue as to who am I, really? Wanting to judge the person herself with her own observations.

Walking through the hallway, I noticed someone's presence following me from behind. I easily identified that person to be none other than Mocha-san.

'So she decided to follow me, huh.'

I was a little surprised because she suddenly started following me on my way out.

I made my shady exit just so I could plant the seeds of suspicion to my "classmate character", I didn't expect for her to follow me all the way outside the classroom.

'Should I try losing her...? No, this is a good opportunity as well to progress the plot.'

I smiled sinisterly to myself as I noticed Mocha-san secretly following me from behind.

'With this, I can demonstrate my quality as a shadow hero if she witnesses it first hand.'

I nodded, thinking I had just thought of a great idea.

'Alright. Let's do it like that.'

Originally, after I got out of the classroom, I thought of using this time to find a new secret base where I can secretly disappear to whenever I feel like acting shady.

But now that Mocha-san is keeping a close watch on me like this, I can't just let an opportunity like this go.

I silently mumbled to myself, "Mob Character mode, On."

I lowered my hair and hunched my back slightly, making me seem shorter than I actually was. I started to walk facing down as though I didn't want to meet eyes with anyone I encounter.

The overall air around me changed and my presence had become significantly lower, as though I was just a ghost lingering in the background.

[Presence concealment activate.]

Making a face of a background character, I hid my eyes with my hair as though the animators ran out of budget.

Mocha-san noticed that my presence had become significantly lowered, as though noticing I wanted to go lowkey for some unknown reason.

'For some reason, he's lowering his presence. This is, he might be going incognito. But why...?'

Mocha-san wonders as to why I suddenly transitioned from a very strong presence character to a seemingly trying to keep a low profile one.

What could the chuunibyou be planning?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Ah, yes. The hidden eyes behind bangs to save budget. What could he possibly be planning.