Chapter 37: Eating inside the classroom this time around.

It's now lunch time.

Around this time, I usually chill on the rooftop to delusion myself in peace. However, since I decided to test the limits of "perfect side character mode", I decided to eat inside the classroom instead.

It's to confirm Ayaka's theory, the theory of "perfect side character mode" being the perfect front side of the coin as the "hidden strong character", an essence necessary for my shadow hero character "Phantom".

When the bell rang and the teacher had already left the classroom, I took out my lunchbox, prepared to be the perfect non suspicious bystander who just happens to be eating on the corner of the classroom.

Mocha-san found herself relieved noticing me taking out my lunchbox.

'Hm, so he decided to have lunch in the classroom this time too.'

Mocha-san also decided to eat inside the classroom. With her own convictions,

'Okay Mocha. This time, no more running away when someone tries talking to you.'

She prepared herself, determined on getting along with everyone.

Right now, as our desks are placed next to each other, we sat there side by side seemingly about to eat lunch together at the back. It's not so much that it's by our choice, we just happened to be seated next to each other and that's it.

Looking around, as Mocha-san sat there beside me, she noticed that, as everyone ate their lunches, they form somewhat circular arrangements, as though they symbolize each groups, circle of friends who are close enough to be eating together.

She thought to herself, 'I want to belong to something like that someday. Putting your desk together, sharing each other's meals, have these trivial conversations that have absolutely no impact to our lives... But for now, I guess this will have to do.'

Mocha-san longs to eat with a group, however, she was also aware she's not that close yet to everyone. For now she's content, or at least she believes she was, eating here at the back beside me.

'Luckily he decided to eat in the classroom today. If he didn't, I'd really feel out of place to be the only person eating at the back...'

Thinking about how out of place someone eating alone looks. She was reminded how awkward she felt during lunch time in her previous school. Fortunately for her, a certain someone also decided to eat in the classroom who just happens to be seated beside her, so it gave the impression of her being less of a loner.

'But still, this awkward silence...' [Doesn't know how to start a conversation.]

Ever since we started eating, not one of us had even said a word yet. So she tried to start one, a conversation.

'Okay, if I was the one to try starting the conversation. Then the delivery should be smooth and not out of nowhere.'

Mocha-san opened her mouth. She said,

"Wha-what nice weather we're having...?"

She awkwardly told me with a timid and shaky tone.

'Well... that came out of nowhere.'

[Communication: Level 0.]

Apart from being so stiff, it was also randomly delivered, and Mocha-san was aware of that.

"Yeah."

I responded, giving her a short reply then continued on eating.

Once again, with nothing to talk about, it fell to awkward silence for Mocha-san.

If you've been wondering why I'm so quiet at the moment, it was because I was trying to reserve my energy, for the reason lunch lasts for an hour. Eating only takes up to about fifteen minutes or so if not lesser. It really depends how fast one may eat.

That means during those remaining time, I have to put my guard up for the possibility of people walking up to me and randomly wanting to stir up a conversation.

After all, the transfer student is seated next to me, there's bound to be people trying to talk to her so she wouldn't feel left out. They might just randomly decide to go to my spot and go, "Oh, I suddenly feel like talking to you." and I have to respond to them as the perfect NPC who's forced to respond whenever he's talked to.

Feeling this awkward silence, Mocha-san worries that.

'I bet he thinks I looked phathetic with my attempt, haha... Should I try again? but with a different approach? But how? It's not like I know any different approaches. Hm...'

Mocha-san pondered, overthinking ways how to break the ice between us. At the same time, Class Rep Hitomi-san arrived with her lunchbox in hand.

"Mocha-san, is the seat next to yours available?"

Hitomi-san politely asked Mocha-san.

"Y-Yes"

Mocha-san replied almost immediately.

"Do you mind if I seat here?"

"N-No! G, go ahead."

"Great!"

With Mocha-san's permission, Class Rep Hitomi-san sat down on the desk next to Mocha-san's, then opened her lunchbox and proceeded eating.

'Why did Hitomi-san decide to eat next to me? Was it because we're friends!? No, wait. Let's not get too ahead of ourselves Mocha. Let's think this logically first.'

Mocha-san looked around, analyzing the surroundings to figure out as to why Hitomi-san wanted to be seated next to her.

'Let's see... The only ones seated in the back row were only me and Yukiya-kun. The nearest circle from us wasn't really all that close either, so our space isn't really getting invaded by another group.'

She checked and stared at me for a brief moment.

'Was it because of Yukiya-kun!?'

'No, that couldn't be it as well, because I'm in the middle. If that were really her intention, then wouldn't it be more reasonable to sit at the desk in front of Yukiya-kun, which is closer in distance?'

Mocha-san was simply over thinking the situation. She came to the conclusion that maybe,

'Could it really be, just so she could eat with me!?'

She finally concluded to the most simple and logical answer while making unnecessary analysis.

'Okay then, this is my chance! This time I'll try to engage in conversation with Hitomi-san, with an interesting topic and perfectly smooth delivery than I did earlier.

'But what should I start the conversation with? How about "hey?" ...No, that can't be right, we're already eating here together. "Hello?" No, no, no, its a greeting. We already established that we were already at a point beyond that. "Bonjour?" Okay now, how in the world did we get here? Were already in the process of surpassing greetings so whats next...? '

[Conversation: Level 0]

'Oh yeah, topic! Think of an interesting topic Mocha. Think!'

When Mocha-san opened her mouth.

"Wha-What nice weather we're having."

It was the same awkward and stiff delivery she did earlier that was so out of place.

'Hmm... (-_-)'

Mocha-san couldn't believe how incapable she was in starting a conversation.

Class Rep Hitomi-san then opened her mouth. She replied,

"Yeah, me too. I do think the weather seems really nice today." She warmly replied with a bright smile.

'She took me seriously and actually replied!'

Mocha-san felt a bit of joy even from a simple reply like that. She felt as though she gain another step closer on her goal in getting along with everyone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Honestly, now I remember where we started to fall off. She took away too much screen time off our Chuuni.