Chapter 49: One with the mist and gone. A mysterious character exit.

Moving back to the broadcast.

It was now time to decide the winner of Fumidai and Mine’s little duel. It will be decided by points given by the judges and also the public's opinion relayed through some sort of app.

“Alright, everyone! Our slot is online which means voting is now officially open!” The emcee announced.

The reason why Fumidai used this points system, that is including the public's opinion was to demonstrate that, in addition to winning over the judges, he plans to convince the public that he was overall the better entertainer, and not just anyone could easily replace him.

He prepared all this just to prove a point, a point as to why people call him the genius of the industry by demonstrating his overwhelming talent.

However, right now Fumidai was just standing on the side, silently looking down on the floor lacking confidence.

The judges had already talked it over and determined how many points they would give to each parties. Now, we’re only waiting for the public’s votes which will be relayed through some sort of app.

Through a huge monitor, taking up space of the whole back wall of the stage, projected two bars with my (Phantom) and Fumidai’s names labeled on the bottom of each.

Both bars continuously rise while keeping track of the number of voters numerically. However, one bar noticeably continues to rise faster than the other.

The other was on the thousands reaching to tens, while the other had already far exceeded the other already reaching the thirties while the other struggling to break through the tens.

‘Woah, they even prepared something like this?’

I thought to myself, baffled by the quality equipment, projecting numbers on the mega sized screen in use right now.

‘Even for props… rich people are amazing.’

Seeing the numbers projected on the screen, the moment I saw the numbers hit the thousands, I thought to myself at that “it was fake”. [It was not]

I just couldn’t process those numbers to be real. That amount of people voting for a measly duel between two chuunibyous. No way that's real, right? They are most likely bots programmed to be that way. You know, like the scoring system on one of those karaoke machines.

The complacent Fumidai from earlier stood silent, as we watch the monitor with numbers reaching to tens of thousands of votes displayed on it.

After waiting a while, 15 minutes or so passed, the online voting had officially come to a close.

The overall votes from the judges, combined with the total votes of the public turned in. The winner has been decided.

In the emcee’s hands was an envelope containing the results of the duel, which he held with anticipation as he walked towards the center front of the stage.

With his professional entertainer's persona, announced to everyone.

“All right everyone, please quiet down. The votes are in. Now is the time for what is everyone waiting for. It’s now time to announce the winner of this unpredictable, very exciting, explosive, out-of-this-world, very entertaining duel!”

Announce the emcee, trying to rile up the crowd with his entertainer’s tone and persona.

The crowds cheered, singing praises for each participant to win.

"FU MI DAI! FUMIDAI! FUMIDAI!!!"

People cheered for Hidetoshi Fumidai.

"ALL HAIL OUR LORD! ALL HAIL OUR OUR PHANTOM!!!"

[The chuuni advised them to cheer that way.]

“And the winner of the duel is…”

As the emcee slowly opened the envelope, drumroll played in the background. Reading what is written on a single peace of paper, the emcee excitedly announced.

“PHAAAANTOM!”

He shouted and announced to everyone.

The crowd who cheered for Phantom became even more boisterous, while Fumidai’s fans had accepted their defeat.

Everyone saw us perform came to a mutual understanding as to why Phantom overall won this duel.

Fumidai who stood silent since earlier, already had a premonition of the results of this duel. The moment he heard my voice and that song, he had already accepted that this duel is something that he could no longer win.

Usually, what comes after announcing the results was an interview of the victor. However,

Unannounced, I turned my back from everyone and proceeded to casually walk away, walking at my own pace.

“H-hey! Where are you going?”

Inquired Fumidai, seeing my figure walking away with not much of a single word.

Pretending to stop for a second, I replied to Fumidai’s question.

“My job here is done.”

I said while my back turned, and smoke began to continuously leaked out of my cloak.

While my back was turned, in everyone's blindspot, I had taken out a smoke screen from my cloak, pulled the pin in secret, and smoke continuously came out after, creating a mist that envelops the entirety of the stage.

"W, what about the bet?"

Fumidai inquired, remembering the bet he made before we initiated on the duel.

'Oh yeah. That did happen.’ dumbfounded, I grinned internally. ‘Just kidding. I did not forget about that.’

Slightly looking back, with a mysterious tone to my voice, I replied to Fumidai.

"I'll tell you what you need to do when you're ready." I told him,

"For now, it's goodbye..."

I looked back at him with a blank stare, then proceeded to walk towards the smoke.

"Till we meet again, boy genius."

I said, delivering my last parting.

I continued to walk toward the smoke until my figure completely disappeared.

By the time the thick mist cleared out, Phantom was no longer there to be found on the scene. As if he became one with the smoke and gone.

'Kukuku, how was my mysterious character exited? "Meet me again when you're ready." Uwah, that line was so cool. Thank you Hidetoshi Fumidai-kun for allowing me to have this wonderful duel role play.

With that, I built my position as the mysterious character on the power scaling, which is undetermined as he has yet to state he had used his full power.

I also planted a plotpoin to make Fumidai do something once he gets stronger. I don't know when but it could be used as an important revelation of some lore, like those "I'll tell you the truth once you get stronger." supporting character.

Overall, I'm satisfied on how this duel with Fumidai concluded. It has been a while since I gone all out like this. I better thank Ayaka and Haruka for directing him to me like this.

[And so the chuuni remained clueless of what's really happening around him.]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Yo, only one chapter left until Vol.1 completely rebooted.