Chapter 27

Benjamin's POV

Three years later

I'm in my room with Carlos and Robbie. We're just a trio of high school sophomores trying to come up with an excuse to sneak out to our first high school party. Robbie and I somehow became popular once we competed abroad with our equestrian team. In a preppy school even preppy athletes get attention. Carlos on the other hand is hot and on the soccer team so he's popular for those reasons.

"What if we tell our dads we're spending the night at Carlos' and he tells his dad he's spending the night at mine?" Robbie suggested

"And where would we stay after the party?" I ask

"If you're spending the weekend at his house your dad will probably leave to visit Weston and your mom."

Weston is at Stanford studying applied mathematics and accounting. Dad bought a house for him and mom so she could be with Wes. Dad visits often with Rory since I compete a lot outside of our state. Uncle Atticus normally takes me and Robbie to shows. My dad makes sure to show up for the bigger competitions though. He's still very involved in my life but is fair when dividing his time with mom and Wes.

Mom and I don't get along well because I refuse to forgive or forget. She's trying but it feels too late. Dad plans to make us start group therapy to repair the family but I think it's bullshit considering no one sent me to therapy despite me begging for it. They claimed the reason was because of my packed schedule but I suspect it's cause they don't wanna reveal my mom's abuse.

"He gets a notification anytime anyone enters the house. We'll get caught." I turn down Robbie's suggestion

"What if we ask uncle Atticus? He desperately wants to relive his teenage years through you."

Uncle Atticus was a Lacrosse jock all through middle and high school. Him and my dad would constantly party until they settled down.

"Then we can just sleepover at my house."

"The only risk is that if he says no we'll be out of options."

"I'll take those odds." Carlos said and I agreed

Later

I'm in the car with Robbie and Uncle Atticus. He just picked us up from our equestrian lesson.

"Uncle could I ask you something without you freaking out?"

"Most-likely." He shrugged

"Well on Friday night, our classmate is throwing a party at his house and we kinda wanna go to it."

"Who's we?"

"Us two plus Carlos." Robbie answered

"Why are you asking me?"

"Because we felt you'd react the best. I mean did you stay home on Friday nights when you were sixteen?"

"Man, I thought you two would stay losers forever. You don't know how happy you've just made me." He fake cried

"So is that a yes?"

"I'll tell Arthur you'll be spending the weekend at my house. I'll drop you off at the party and pick you back up at two am. If you're not out by that time I'll go inside and embarrass both of you. If you get busted by the police keep my name out of your mouth. Deal?"

"Can Carlos spend the night too?"

"Sure."

"Then you've got yourself a deal." We both grinned