Chapter 23

Taehyung and Jungkook become closer each day. Jungkook is itching to ask Taehyung to be his mate but he doesn't want to overwhelm him again that may result for the omega to push him away like what happened in the past. But that doesn't mean he'll shy away from showing his affection to his mate. Every morning, Jungkook wakes up early and brings ingredients to Hoseok's house. Then he and Taehyung spend their morning in the kitchen cooking breakfast like right now.

 Then he and Taehyung spend their morning in the kitchen cooking breakfast like right now

The trueblood would steal kisses from his mate every now and then. They would both giggle, although Taehyung blushes to no end, he revels at Jungkook's affection and attention. For the first time, Taehyung feels loved and contented. He doesn't mind if the head alpha isn't his true mate, as long as they love each other nothing else matters.

They are startled when Yoongi suddenly barges inside Hoseok's kitchen.

"I'm sorry for interrupting your sweet moments, Taehyung, head alpha, but we have an urgent matter at hand!" Yoongi looked at them with worried eyes.

"What's wrong, Yoongi hyung?" Jungkook asked while wiping his hands with the kitchen towel and removing his apron.

Taehyung worriedly gazes at Yoongi waiting for him to continue.

Yoongi tries to steady his breathing before he answers. "There are about fifty warrior wolves heading to our pack. Elder Jihun made an alliance with head alpha Junsik of Harvest Moon and now they're attacking our pack!"

Taehyung clenches his fists upon hearing the name of his arrogant ex-mate. He's really vile and greedy. He doesn't spare even the peace-loving Blood Moon pack.

"They are too brazen to attack us with just fifty warriors. Don't you think they're overconfident?" Jungkook asked now raising an eyebrow. "Yoongi hyung, prepare twenty warriors to go with us. Let us show these bastards they shouldn't mess with us!"

Yoongi rolls his eyes. "You're saying they're brazen for having just fifty warrior wolves to attack our pack but here you are only bringing twenty. Who's overconfident now?"

"Do you have very little faith in my wolf Yoongi hyung?" Jungkook teased while his wolf let out a low growl, showing displeasure on Yoongi's words.

Taehyung grips Jungkook's shirt sleeves not wanting the head alpha to leave. He's worried for the head alpha.

Jungkook lovingly stares at him. He caresses his face gently and plants a soft kiss on his forehead. "Shush... don't worry my snowflake, I'll come back to you, hmm. Nothing will happen to me, my wolf is a trueblood, the strongest wolf. I will come back and we will share the delicious meal we cooked." Jungkook hugged him tight.

A lone tear falls on Taehyung's face. He feels uneasy and scared for the head alpha, but he knows he can't stop him. It's the head alpha's duty to defend his pack after all. "Please take care, promise you'll come back to me."

"I promise, my snowflake." Jungkook turned to Yoongi. "Let's go, Yoongi hyung."

Jungkook and Yoongi together with their warriors shift into their wolf forms and charge on the enemies. Jungkook's wolf is able to quickly kill twenty wolves.

Chul's wolf signals the few wolves on their side to distract Jungkook's wolf. Chul shifts to his human form. He brings out the syringe from the leather pouch that he hid behind a tree. He quietly sneaks behind Jungkook's wolf while it is busy fighting other wolves.

Chul gets close to Jungkook's wolf and stabs the syringe of wolfsbane in the trueblood's neck. Jungkook's wolf whimpers. Its body is starting to feel numb, but before it becomes completely paralyzed, it shifts to Jungkook. Jungkook already knew what was injected to him, he can smell it, he knows this poison very well, it's wolfsbane. No wolves ever survived from wolfsbane. Is this his end? What will happen to his mate? He weeps not because he's going to die, but for his mate who will be left to deal with the pain of his passing.

Taehyung's body suddenly feels stiff. His wolf stirs and howls inside him. His wolf is whimpering as if in pain. Then it happens, suddenly he feels like a huge, thick wall is brought down around him and his wolf. Their bond to their mate is now open. They smell it, their mate's scent of sandalwood but it is tainted with something heinous and deadly...poison, their mate is poisoned. Their mate is Jungkook and he's dying.

Before he can complete his thoughts, Taehyung's wolf takes over and runs to save their mate.

His wolf finds Jungkook lying on the battle ground, unable to move. The poison has already rendered him paralyzed. He sees that Chul is about to stab Jungkook with a dagger. Taehyung's wolf jumps on Chul before he can stab Jungkook. The omega wolf sinks its fangs deeply on his neck, ripping his flesh. Chul writhes in pain as he tries to cover his bleeding neck, but Taehyung's wolf isn't done with him. Its silver eyes are flaring with rage to the one who hurt their mate. It ruthlessly shreds Chul to pieces.

Taehyung's wolf shifts to its human form. Taehyung immediately runs to Jungkook. His eyes are already flooding with tears. He cradles Jungkook's head into his arms. "No, no, please Jungkook, you can't die. My mate, don't leave me, please... I-i love you. I'm sorry for not knowing that you're our true mate." Taehyung's wolf howls inside feeling regretful that it blocked the mate bond causing them to not recognized Jungkook as their second chance mate.

Jungkook finds it hard to breathe, the poison is already spreading through his body. But he tries to smile at his mate. Finally, Taehyung's wolf feels their bond, it recognizes them now. "D-don't cry my snowflake, I-i love you, too, and I don't blame you or your wolf. It only tried to protect you." With that Jungkook falls unconscious.

"Yoongi hyung!" Taehyung cries out. Yoongi has just finished the remaining enemy wolves. One of them has escaped, but Yoongi didn't bother chasing it. He hastily approaches Jungkook and Taehyung.

"Let's bring him to the clinic." Yoongi said but his heart already knows even the best healer in their pack can't cure the trueblood. Yoongi weeps for his brother in law as he carries him towards the pack clinic. Following them is Taehyung who continuously wails for his true mate.

🐾🐰🐯🐾

Whew! Sorry. Taetae's wolf now recognizes Kookie as their second chance true mate. But is it already too late? What will happen to Kookie? Is this really his end? 💫