Chapter 26

Easton's POV

Upon being woken up by a phone call from the hospital after finally falling asleep two hours ago, I groan before reaching for the phone and answering, "Hello?"

"Mr. James?"

"This is he," I respond professionally even though I'm tired as shit.

"This is Dr. Lincoln. I have just received your scans and I'd like for you to come in as soon as possible to talk about your knee. How soon can you come in?"

Lizzie enters with a tray of my favorite breakfast foods - waffles, fruit, and orange juice. Seeing me on the phone, she raises her eyebrows inquisitively.

"I will come in about an hour. Is that alright?" I answer looking at Lizzie to make sure she can come. She nods.
He replies simply, "No problem, Mr. James. I'll see you soon."

He hangs up without another word, and I look up at Lizzie as she sets down the breakfast tray. "What did he say?" I take a bite out of the waffle before answering.

"He just wants me to come in as soon as possible. Didn't say anything about the results but I'm surprised they called so fast." I eat some more food and she eats some fruit. I pull up a Google search on Dr. Lincoln and he looks to be one of the best in orthopedic medicine. The team must have called him to make sure I have the best

"I don't know much about these things. Maybe they want to get it fixed and you back in the game?" She questions and I shrug, "Yeah maybe."

We finish up breakfast and we head downstairs to the car that she ordered for us to take us to the doctor's office. I get a text from Margot letting me know they are boarding their flight. I sent her a response letting her know where we are and that I'll text her as soon as I'm done so she can bring Spencer to my apartment once they land. She tells me good luck and that everything will be fine. I think to myself even after we both cheated we can still be cordial to one another. I also text my agent letting her know what's going on and that I'll call her to meet at the apartment after as well.

The rest of the ride I am bouncing my good leg out of nerves. Lizzie slides her hand on my thigh and it instantly stops. "Breathe baby." I take a deep breath and feel less anxious. Once we arrive at the office we only have to wait 5 minutes before being greeted by Dr. Lincoln.

"Mr. James, it's so great to meet you. I'm a huge fan." He smiles and shakes my hand.

"Dr. Lincoln, please call me Easton. Thank you for seeing me. This is my..my girlfriend Lizzie." I pause before I introduce Lizzie. He smiles and shakes her hand, "Hello, my daughter is a big fan of yours, Miss Olsen." She smiles and he says, "Well let's head back to my office."

I hop on my crutches behind him and Lizzie as I notice one of the male nurses staring at Lizzie. Once we are in the office Lizzie helps me sit down. I don't let go of her hand but it's her hand on the opposite side. "E, I need to sit down. I'll have my other hand ready." She whispers and I nod letting go. She sits down and takes my hand again.

"Alright, Easton well after looking at the MRI. Looks like you did tear both your MCL and ACL." He jumps right into the bad news. I hang my head knowing that could put me out for 6 to worst 9 months.

"Okay, what does that mean for him now?" Lizzie asks seeing that I'm not going to be answering.

"Well, we will schedule surgery to repair the tears and a long recovery. But I have the best physical therapists on my team." He answers and I finally gather myself enough to ask.

"When did they call you?" I ask and Lizzie snaps her head over to me. Dr. Lincoln doesn't answer right away knowing that I've caught him.

"As soon as you went in for your MRI yesterday." He says and I nod knowing they will now drop me and I will be a free agent.