When the Levee Breaks

Screams filled the small walls of Bobby's home as Sam went through withdrawal from demon blood in her father's panic room. The sound caused her jaw to twitch, her hands fidgeting with anything that they could find. Dean was fisting shots of whiskey, she was shocked he was even using a glass. Bobby seemingly ignored the pleas from Sam but Allie knew better. They were all affected.

She struggled to listen to him in such panic and desperation. "Maybe I should... go check on him just to make sure he's okay." She mumbled under her breath, though she already knew that Bobby and Dean would refuse her persuasion. She was weak to the sound of her found family hurting.

"No, Allie. You stay here with me," Bobby said firmly but gently as he glanced over at her from where he was pacing back and forth in front of the door to the basement. He knew she wanted nothing more than to go help Sam, but they couldn't risk anyone else getting hurt or worse. The last thing any of them needed right now was another casualty on top of everything else.

Dean grunted in response, not turning around to face her. He knew she was just trying to help but he couldn't bear the thought of losing another person close to him right now. "You stay put," his voice sounded rougher than usual due to the alcohol and stress combined.

"We got this." His words were more a command than an invitation for discussion as he downed another shot before refilling his glass. The smell of whiskey filled the room, masking some of the other scents that usually lingered there. Allie could see the worry etched deep into his features, lines forming on his otherwise youthful face.

Allie looked down at the floor but didn't offer much of a response. Her lips quivered at the sound of Sam's echoing despair. Hearing her friend yell help over and over again was a tough pill to swallow. Her size six Converse tapped against the scratched hardwood.

She grasped for Dean's whiskey and stole it from him, shooting it down with a scrunched expression from the burning. There weren't exactly any podcasts on how to deal with supernatural blood addicts. "I can't do this anymore." She stood and ran a hand over her mouth. "You both might think this is right but I don't. We should at least be down there with him!" The thought of Sam being alone and suffering was overwhelming.

Dean's head whipped around at her words, his eyes narrowing in anger and frustration. "You don't get to decide what we do or don't do," he growled, reaching out for the bottle of whiskey she had stolen from him but stopping short when their gazes locked. He took a deep breath, trying to calm himself down before speaking again more softly. "Allie, I know it sucks seeing Sam like this, hell, it's killing me too. But if you go down there right now, you could end up dead."

He stood up slowly, towering over her. Really, they had no idea what Sam was capable of anymore.

"Allie" Bobby's deep voice rumbled from behind her. He placed a comforting hand on her shoulder and turned her to face him. His eyes were filled with concern but also determination. "You know we can't risk it."

"He chose this path when he decided to start drinkin' the blood," he added, his gaze flickering briefly towards Dean before returning to his daughter. "We take care of each other, we would do whatever it takes to keep each other alive, even if it means being apart for a while." Bobby knew she needed a gentler approach than Dean could offer her right now.

"Now you stay here with us"

Her eyes watered, lips pressed into a tight line. "Dad..." she started off but didn't continue; her nose twitched from attempting to fight off the tears. Everything had led to this, all their work. They couldn't trust Sam anymore. Sam. Out of anyone, it didn't feel real but deep down she knew that they were right. Sam was different now, potentially dangerous. Ruby and the demon blood had changed him.