14

After another day of rehearsals, Bella was at home getting ready for their night out with the hockey team. She was still feeling miserable, but she was determined to get Tom out of her mind. She added one more layer of lipgloss before exiting her room, stopping in her tracks as she reached the living room and heard Tom's voice coming from the kitchen.

It was not like she could ban him from coming over, he was still friends with Rachel. But she'd prefer it if he stayed away. She took a few deep breaths before walking past the kitchen, completely ignoring Tom, Rachel and Josh making food in the kitchen.

"Bells! You not staying for dinner?" Rachel exclaimed as she tried to quietly make her way to the door. She didn't turn around but she could feel Tom's gaze burning on her.

"No. Going out with the hockey team" she mumbled, picking up her keys from the counter next to their door.

"Where yall going?" Rachel asked, giving Tom a look.

"Starlight" Bella mumbled, opening the door and slamming it behind her. She didn't feel like staying around for small talk.

Bella was having fun with her friends, but she still had Tom in the back of her mind. So, she downed another tequila shot as she listened to Nathan, the goalie, explaining some sort of hockey strategy to her in excruciating detail.

"Wow" Bella stated for what felt like the hundreth tume as she let her eyes wander around the club, not interested in what Nathan had to say.

"Bells!" she heard Laura exclaim as she hurried towards her and Nathan sitting at the bar.

"I'm going out for a smoke! Come with?" she stated drunkenly, grabbing Bella's hand and pulling her with her.

"This is not the way outside" Bella muttered as they walked towards the dance floor.

"No, but you looked like you needed saving" Laura giggled as she started to dance, Bella following her lead.

A few more shots and a lot of dancing later, Bella was drunk enough to follow Nathan into a cab and to his apartment. They wasted no time taking their clothes off as they kissed. But Bella didn't get the thrill out of it that she usually did. She didn't feel anything when he kissed her. Or when he touched her. Even the sex was beyond boring.

As she laid in bed next to him, about to pass out, she felt a pang of guilt in her heart. And for some reason, she was still thinking about Tom. Sighing, she got up and pulled on her clothes before ordering an Uber to go home.

Once Bella made it home, she stumbled along their living room, causing a few books to fall from Rachel's bookshelf.

"Shit" she muttered as she regained her balance. The lights in the living room came on, and a worried looking Tom was, once again, standing in front of her. Bella threw down her heels that she was carrying in her hands in frustration.

"I really need to talk to Rachel about who gets to spend the night on our couch" she muttered, not paying attention to Tom as she walked towards her room.

"Where were you?" Tom spoke up, making Bella stop in her tracks but not turn around to face him.

"Having meaningless sex" she spat. Tom frowned as tears formed in his eyes. But Bella did not see as she walked into her room, slamming the door shut behind her.