Chapter twelve

I sat on the couch in the living room, where ive never been before. The girl, Carmen was apparently Diavolos cousins wife. I would have never guessed that Diavolo had family, or that I would see him looking so domestic with his niece and nephew. It was so shocking I just stood there like an idiot. But what was more shocking was sitting in his lap. I sat in his lap and he- he was hard. He was hard because of me, no no just the way I was sitting it was hard not to. And it's natural. 

"So Mia, what's your story. Ive only heard small bits and pieces."

She said throwing herself on the couch. She had just put her kids to sleep in a room and was now exhausted im sure. I sat a few feet away from her although I had my knees to my chest. I had never been friends or talked to a girl before. Other than Lindsey but she never really liked me.

"Oh- uh, um well."

I stuttered out, normally im rambling to no end. But I didnt want her to not like me too. I needed a good friend. Diavolo is somewhat- well Im not even sure what he is. But I defentilty don't want to scare a potential girlfriend away. 

"Hey it's okay. Trust me complicated I get. I had an arranged marriage to a man I thought was a monster only to fall in love with him.... and then I killed my dad."

My eyes were wide and my jaw was dropped when she finished her sentence. Carmen only let out a short laugh. I decided I should probably say something.

"Wow, um Yea my story is kind of similar actually, minus the love part. I got kidnapped by a monster, and then I guess I also realized he wasn't the worst..... and my dad tried to kill me."

Carmen shared a similar shocked expression to my words. Both of us, sat there for a second taking in the information. And then we just burst out laughing. I don't know what it was but I felt good around her. Like I could talk to her. Like I wanted too.

"We are gonna be good friends."

Friends. Good friends. That's what she said, and I believed it. 

By the end of the night, I told her my whole, In detail story. She told me hers. My heart broke for what she went through. With many hugs and a few tears. We trusted each other in the short time we knew each other. And I couldnt have been more grateful for her. 

"I never normally trust people that easy. But Diavolo trusts you. So we all do."

"What? No I don't think he trusts me that much. Maybe tolerates me."

"Trust me. He would have never let you sit on top of him, so close to his back..."

"His back?"

Carmens eyes widened a bit and she covered it up with a cough, quickly changing the subject. Something about a girl named Davina arriving here tomorrow. More people.. I was both nervous and exited. But an uneasy feeling went through me about her slip up. What about his back?

Before I could dwell more into his Matteo and Liam came in through the back door. Liam gave me a small smile that I returned. Matteo didnt even look at me. 

"Carmen this is Liam my nice friend."

I felt nervous calling him that but with his nod and smile I knew he was accepting it. 2 friends. My heart warmed. 

"And that is the man that helped kidnapp me, he also beat up men and dropped them at my feet. His name is Matteo."

I still wasn't over that experience. Carmen let out a laugh. More of a snort really.

"That man is my brother."

I snapped my head towards her my cheeks bright red with embarrassment. She waved me aside as she hugged the man and then came and sat back down, Matteo heading into the study. Liam stayed by with us.

"Don't worry, he is a sulking brute, at least ever since he's been away from a certain blonde. But what do I know?"

She said, quite frankly I had no idea what she was talking about but I laughed anyway, I didnt want her to think I was weird.

Me, Carmen and Liam chatted until I was so tired I was laying out on the couch. With my head injury, I was still recovering and needed more sleep than I thought. I briefly remember Liam getting up and leaving. 

As I was about to be out when I faintly felt myself being lifted up. A warm covering my body that only one person managed to bring. But the darkness consumed me before I had a chance to wake myself up. 

Enzo:

Matteo, Nick, and me all discussed a plan, on how we should handle taking down the ring. With many more meetings and work to plan, I had gotten the advice I needed. I carried Mia to my bed last night. She seemed to have a good time chatting with Carmen and Liam. But I still wanted her safe in my quarters with her head injury still recovering.

I didnt sleep much that night, only dozed off in the chair while I watched Mia sleep. She looked so peaceful. I admired it. I had always been an insomniac. Watching her sleep through the night was still strange to me. Although peace only lasted so long. She kicked and punched and ruffled the bed around to the point it looked like someone had been murdered. 

When she awoke I had been out in the living room. Talking with my family.

"You know I think Mia is a good influence on you, you haven't cursed once this morning."

I turned to Carmen who was currently snuggled in Nicks lap with Santi in-between them. Isabella was throwing knives with Liam.

I was about to open my mouth and shout some profanities when Mia emerged from my bedroom, her hair sticking up wild. I once wished to see her hair messed up. Not the perfect little pet her father created. But the natural beautiful her. My mouth snapped shut remembering she told me not to curse so much.

"Good morning Angel."

I said with a wink. I ignored Carmens look. Nicholas just eyed her like a threat, and I didnt appreciate it. Even after I told him last night she was not the enemy, Matteo also vouching for her. He still looked at her as if she was a spy, and I did not like it one bit. 

Mia came and sat down next to me, but still too far. I quite liked her on my lap. That was the proximity my body wished for, but my mind shut that down. Too complicated. Too risky. Too fucking stupid.

"So Bianchi's daughter, you expect us to believe you had no idea of your fathers mafia? Of all the horrible things he did? Are you just acting stupid or are you really that much of a fool?"

Carmen wacked him across the head. And I rose.

"Not another fucking word about her. Treat her with some goddamn respect or get the fuck out of my house."

Nick turned away to his wife who was scolding him with her eyes. I turned back to Mia who was cowering into the couch.

"Excuse my language Angel."

I said before sitting back down. The whole room in awkward silence. for all of 5 minutes before the door opened.

Matteo stepped forward from his spot on the wall. As Davina walked through the door. A big grin on her face as she held out to bottles of wine.

"Partyssss hereeee!"

Jesus Christ. Mia next to me lightly grabbed my arm. I could see the confusion on her face. I gave her a look that said you'll get used to it. 

"Im hosting family night this Friday."

I said her eyebrows immediately raised.

"That's were you have been going every Friday?? Not to kill people or have scary meetings with guns- B- But to a family night?"

"Hmm, glad to know Im exceeding your expectations."

I looked around at everyone I considered close and trusted in the room. I would have never thought that Mia Bianchi would be one of those people. But looking at her talk to Davina and Carmen. How Liam looks at her with such admiration. I knew she was where she belonged. And I knew that I was keeping her. Wether she knew it yet or not I don't know.

AN: Oh my god I love this little universe I created, also Im so exited for Matteo and Davinas book you guys. The built up tension is killing meeee!!! I promise next chapter the real romance begins!!!!