Chapter sixteen

We all piled out of the car and just like Diavolo said, everyone went into their respective positions. Damion and Matteo went around back to start patrolling, Dante gave us all earpieces and stayed in the limo. Davina grabbed onto Nicks arm and walked inside.

It left me, Carmen, and Diavolo outside.

"Here Mia, just in case."

She handed me a knife and I practically just stared at it. It was pink and small, but I could tell it wasn't lacking sharpness. Carmen lifted up her dress adjusting a few knifes she had holstered into her body- what in the hell?

"What on gods green earth am I going to do with this?!"

I said my voice raising just a bit, I can't believe she gave me a knife, I could never knife someone. That was CRAZY! 

"It's just a precaution, Do you know how to use one?"

"NO! WHY THE- heck would I need to use a knife?!"

I shouted and then quickly lowered my volume. I forgot this was still an event, people did not need to know what we were up too. Diavolo grabbed a gun from inside the limo and stuck it in the waistband of his pants. 

"Oh yea lets just load up on weapons that will solve all are problems, if we just talk to these people, make them see how much better life could be-"

"God dammit Mia. What did I tell you, there is no talking to these people. The weapons are in case shit goes wrong, we aren't going to massacre the place."

I take a deep breath, he was probably right. I was just seeing the best in people which I know his my biggest flaw. I should listen to Diavolo, this is what he does he knows how to do it better than anyone.

"You can always stay with-"

I was walking up the steps before he could finish that sentence, despite being nervous I was not scared. This is the right thing to do. His deep chuckle follows me up the steps until he is at my side, Carmen ahead of us. I grab onto his offered arm as we step into the ballroom.

I am suddenly hit with a wave of deja voo. The first time I was on his arm in a ballroom- It was the night we met, when we ran into each other. God how things have changed. And similar to that other time, everyone was starring at us. At him. I remind myself because he is that powerful not just in America but Italy too. Oh boy. 

He guided us over to a small table with some drinks circling where me him and Carmen stood surveying the place. All of the sudden I felt a buzz in my ear and then I heard static before a clear voice was audible.

"Does everyone copy?"

I made it out to be Dantes voice.

"Copy."

"I copy."

"Loud and clear"

Different responses rapped fire in my ear and then each of us took turns discreetly pressing the ear and muttering that we copy. 

"I got eyes and ears in the place, start your rounds."

I saw Nick and Davina nod their heads toward us before disappearing into the crowd, we are supposed to be gathering information, talking to people and hoping that they will blab some details. I myself am a great talker. And am pretty persuasive. But Diavolo won't let me open my mouth. 

"Ok im going in."

Carmen says before heading over to a guy who seems to be eyeing her up. She places a hand on his arm and they are descending deeper into the crowd. God she is one powerful women. I feel pretty awkward standing here with Diavolo, his eyes scanning the crowd. He then presses a hand to his ear.