Somebody Call for a Fox?- Chapter 3

-Dick's POV-

The Team gathered in the main area in the downstairs section of the Warehouse. I had call3e them there for a breifing.

"Alright team, I know yesterday was discouraging, but we have to keep trying. I'm setting up a small squad. Blue Beetle, Impulse, Bumblebee, and Guardian, you're Alpha. You are going to try and destroy the remaining scarabs."

"And the rest of you?" Guardian inquired.

"I'm going to send Batgirl and Miss M as Beta on a recon only mission. We need to know the Light's next move. The rest of us wait."

"What about you?"

"I'm waiting for Robin to get back." I snuck a glance at Batgirl, who shrugged, indicating that she had no idea where he was. I sighed, knowing that it was probubaly a waste of time to send him in the first place. "He's... hopefully bringing reinforcements."

"What kind of reinforcements?" Wonder Girl inquired, just as something loud sounded from upstairs. We all looked up.

"Is anyone left upstairs?" I whispered.

"No, this is everyone." Superboy assured me.

"Stand ready." I ordered, hoping that the enemy had not found our hideout. But my fears subsided when a girl, my girl, jumped down off of the railing and landed on her feet, fully decked out in her uniform.

"Somebody call for a fox?" she smirked."Oh and sorry about that lamp. I didn't notice the nightstand there and when I jumped through the window I kind of... knocked it over." My heart was beating so fast that I couldn't speak. Everyone was looking at her, but she was looking at me.

"Who the heck is this?!" Wonder Girl exclaimed.

"I could say the same thing about you." Lexi shrugged. Superboy, Miss Martian, and Batgirl tackled her in a huge hug. "Hey guys." she laughed, returning their embrace.

"Everyone, this is Fox." I introduced, finally managing to find my voice. "She used to work with us a few years back, but she..." I didn't know what to explain it as. She left me? She abandoned me?

"I retired from hero work." she covered, knowing good and well that it wasn't the real reason that she had left.

"So why is she here?" Wonder Girl was really being annoying today.

"We needed help. I got help." I shrugged.

"Who trained you anyways?" Wonder Girl huffed.

"Far too many to name. But if you want a name the you'd recognize... Batman mainly." When she said this, she glanced at me again. I wished more than anything that I could see her eyes behind the mask.

"Not to be rude or anything, but how do you know that you can trust her, Nightwing?" Impulse asked.

She arched a perfectly shaped eyebrow. "If he can't trust me, he can't trust anyone."

"She's right. We don't need to focus on the how and the why, but she's here, and she's staying as long as she wants. So show her some respect." I ordered. "Where's Robin?" I asked her.

"Went back to Gotham. Said he had some things to take care of."

I nodded. "Batgirl, do you think that you and M'gann can handle this mission on your own?"

"Of course. I'll radio if anything goes wrong."

"Alpha and Beta, dismissed. Good luck." I told them. When they were gone, I turned to the rest. "You can all go. Fox and I have some things to discuss." They all either filed out of the door except Superboy, who went upstairs. "So..." I turned to her, "the window? Really?" I asked, reffering to her entrance.

"Well I figured that the front door would be too easy. Why do you even have a window in this place? I'd have it on total lockdown. It's a nice HQ by the way. Wayyyy better than Mount Justice." she replied sarcastically. I smiled. Oh how I'd missed her.

"Well, we weren't really given much choice."

"I know, I'm kidding." she smiled back. Did I even mention that I loved her smile? Especially when she was smiling at me.

"I'm actually surprised that you came." I commented, going to sit in my bed. She followed, standing in front of me and picking up a WingDing (if you don't know, it's Nightwing's version of a Batarang..) and turned it over in her hands.

"Why? You called in your favor, and I did promise..." She set it back down and going to wander around and inspect the Warehouse. "I always keep my promises."

"Not always..." I mumbled.

"What was that?" she asked, not hearing me clearly.

"Nevermind." I said dissmisively. "I'm just glad you're here." It wasn't a lie.

"Me too actually." she replied, turning around. She had taken off her mask and her blue eyes sparkeld at me. She knew that Conor was the only one here, so she must have felt comfortable without hiding them. "I missed you Dick." she admitted.

"I missed you too Lex." More than you will ever know. "So... where are you staying while you're here?"

"Well I was actually wondering if I could crash here for the night. I told my parents that I was coming home, but I don't really feel like Zeta-ing tp Gotham."

"Well, we don't have anymore extra beds, but I can easily crash on the couch. So sure, no problem."

"No, I can sleep on the couch." Such a hard headed one.

"I insist."

"No, your place, your bed, you sleep in it."

"Lex, either you sleep in the bed, or ... you sleep in the bed. It's your only option."

She huffed, annoyed with my stubborness. "Fine, whatever. I'll take the damn bed."

"Hey uh... didn't you bring... you know... clothes?" I asked. She groaned.

"Tim offered to take them to my parents place and drop them off. I didn't really plan on staying here at first. Great.. I guess I'll just go home." she shurgged, looking annoyed and tired. She was probubaly jet-lagged, considering that she did fly all the way from Australia.

"You can uhh... borrow something of mine. You look really tired, Lex." She glanced at me, studying me for a moment.

"Alright, thanks Dick." I stood up and handed her a big tshirt and some baggy basketball shorts.

"Go change and get some sleep." I suggested, thinking about all of the times that we shared a bed and wishing that we could again.

"Thanks again Dick." she said, going into the restroom. "Oh, and it really is good to see you." Then she closed the door. My mind was spinning. I still loved her. I tried to get  over her when was gone, sleeping around and getting a player reputaion, but really she was the only one I would ever want. I groaned mentally. "I'm so whipped."

-------------------------------------------------------

YAY NEXT CHPTR IS UP! COMMENT AND VOTE! SPREAD THE WORD!!