Hope for Us- Chapter 4

-Dick’s POV-

I watched as she slept, in a totally non-creepy way. Why had she felt the need to leave? Why did she agree to come back? These questions plagued my mind throughout the night. All was quiet, and the only things that could be heard were Connor’s loud snoring and Lexi’s soft breathing. Her lips were slightly parted and every now and then she either crunched her nose or smiled slightly in her sleep. I wanted to know what she was dreaming about. No, I wanted to be in her dreams. I wanted her to want me, like I had wanted her for all this time.

Did she ever think of me while she was away? Back when she left, she said that she would come back to me. She hadn’t. Why did she return? Did she come for me? Or did she come for the sake of the world. Did she only come because she had promised me a favor? I hoped that she had wanted to see me. I listened to her breathing; it was music to my ears. The sound of her, alive, was amazing. When she was gone, I wondered all the time if she was alive and well. Now she was here, just a few feet away from my touch, and I could protect her myself. I groaned internally, wondering if things would ever be the same again. Did she still have feelings for me? Did she ever have feelings for me? She claimed to, and I believed her, until she left…

When she had gone over a year without contacting me, I decided that I wasn’t going to sit around pathetically and wait for her, so I started seeing other girls. First there was Zatanna. I think that the only reason I was attracted to her was because she somewhat looked like Lexi; same dark black hair, same skin color. She even had blue eyes, but they didn’t compare to Lexi’s. Then there was Barbara. More than anything, I was tired of sleeping around with random girls trying to fill a void that only Lexi could fill, and decided to go for someone who I knew loved me, even if it was only as a friend. So we dated briefly. But both girls, and all of the other girls that I ‘dated’, broke up with me, mostly for the same reason: because I didn’t pay attention to them, or didn’t show them affection, and things like that. Could they really blame me? I mean, they were total wastes of time considering that they were nothing like Lexi. The average relationship lasted four days at best. . Both Barbara and Zatanna understood what was happening to me, and broke it off on friendly terms.

Now, she was back, and I hoped that there was some hope for us. But I had my doubts. She didn’t look at me in the same way she used to. It was almost as if she was wary of me.  I didn’t like that. I half expected her to come and jump into my arms. I wouldn’t have objected. I would have kissed her senseless and told her how much I loved her about a million times, not caring who was watching.  But she didn’t, and from the looks of it, she never would. I walked over to the super computer, deciding not to sit around anymore, considering that it was obvious that I wouldn’t get much sleep any time soon. I searched for anything that could be a new lead on the Reach.

I had found something promising about the Reach and the Queen of England when I heard Lexi let out a little groan of some sort in her sleep. Looking over at her, I saw that she had kicked off her blanket and was now shivering. Smiling at her cuteness, I got up and picked it up, draping it back over her and was about to tuck her in when I realized that she was still wearing her gloves. Assuming that she was so tired that she forgot to take them off when she fell asleep, I gently pulled one off, then the other, freezing when I saw her right hand.

The ring was still there; my ring. The promise ring that I had given her over two years ago on Christmas Eve, which just happened to be the night that she told me that she was leaving. I told her to keep it and that as long as she wanted me, I would still marry her someday.  I had assumed that she would stop wearing it. Maybe she just put it on to make me feel better. But why would she try to hide it? Why would she still wear it? Perhaps she did care for me. Or maybe she just left bad because I had spent so much money on it and didn’t want it to go to waste. Whatever the reason, I felt… proud, victorious even. Let me tell you… there’s nothing more amazing than seeing the girl you love and want to marry practically wearing your engagement ring. It’s a great feeling. Maybe there was still hope for us. I tucked her in and pressed a light kiss to her forehead, swearing that somehow, I’d make her mine again.

But something had to be done about the rest of the Team. Their performance was down and though I assumed that it was because of Artemis's ... death... I also had my doubts about their skills. I knew that they had the ability, but with half of their mentors off on an alien planet and the rest of their mentors trying to pick up the slack, perhaps they were just lacking in training. Black Canary didn't have the time anymore, and though I often sparred with my teammates, I doubted that I could really teach them anything that they didn't know alreay. I thought about asking Lexi to try, since she definately had different training than me and a different fighting style. Deciding that all of my problems could wait until morning, I plopped down on the couch and finally dozed off.

------------------------------------------------------------

HEY GUYS!!! COMMENT AND VOTE!!! okay so I hope you like this one. i'll update again 2night or 2morrow morning! Hopefully this is long enough to hold you all ;) okay biaa.