The Tate Modern- Chapter 9

Day before museum heist. Around noon. London, England.

-Lexi's POV-

btw nothing I wrote about the Tate Modern is accurate.

I stood in front of the Tate Modern museum, wearing an all black tracksuit and sneakers, with a very realistic blonde wig covering my black locks. Black sunglasses shaded my eyes which I got quite a few looks from, considering that, like always, it was very dreary in London today. I looked up, memorizing every window and airvent on the massive building.

"Lex?" Dick said through the earpiece I was wearing. He was in Bruce's London apartment.

"Yeah?"

"I'm feeling uneasy about you going in alone. Can we just hurry up and get this over with? Check the place out, do what you have to, and get out. You need rest and planning time for the real thing tomorrow. Use the USB I gave you to give me access to their system when you get into the computer room."

"Sure thing." I replied, walking towards the entrance. Since it was free admission, I walked through the doors and almost managed to get past security with my sunglasses on, but the surprisingly hot security guard stopped me.

"Miss, I'm going to need you to take the shades off for the cameras." he said in a bored tone.

My red painted lips curved into a smirk. "Sure thing." I said, taking them off and revealing my eyes, which were covered by brown contacts.

He started stuttering his words. "S-sorry for the inconvenience."

"No problem at all." I smiled, strutting past him with my hands shoved into my pockets. I heard Dick huff in annoyance.

"Excuse me miss?" another worker stopped me.

"Yes?" I asked warily.

"Would you like to join the tour that we're about to start?" She replied, pointing at the group of tourists behind her. Both Dick and I let out a sigh of relief.

"No thanks. I'm just looking for the ancient artifacts area?"

"Certainly! Just go up those stairs, and take a right." I smiled gratefully, heading in the direction that she pointed me in.

I slid on a pair of 'reading glasses' that just happened to have a microscopic camera in them. "Are you getting this Dick?" I whispered.

"Yup. Recording everything too. Get to the holding room, then the computer room, and get out."

"Got it." I made my way to the room where they had the scarab on display. The room was guarded by two Reach soldiers on either side of the door. I walked past them like everyone else. I looked at the entrance. There was no door that would close, but from the looks of it, if there was ever a lock-down, the entire wing of the museum would be closed off, sealing me inside. Then I looked at the walls. No windows, no air vents. Checking out the scarab, I saw that it was in a virtually impenetrable case. There was a key pad that looked complex, but could be hacked if I was given enough time. Ms. Martian wouldn't be able to phrase her hand through it without pulling the alarm. I quickly made my way out of the room and slipped pass the 'employees only' sign, walking towards where I knew that the computer room would be. But I stopped in my tracks when I saw that it was guarded by more Reach soldiers. I pretended that I was lost. "I'm looking for the restroom?" I asked innocently. They looked at each other, then pointed down the hall, back out the door I had just come through, back in the main hall. I quickly exited the museum and caught a cab to Bruce's apartment. Unlocking the door, I came face to face with Dick.

"What happened?" he asked, pulling me into the room.

"It's a no go with the computer room. I couldn't get access to it." I told him, flopping down onto the comfortable couch.

"So we abort the plan?" He asked, crouching down on the floor in front of me.

"No, we can still do it. But there's no way to shut down the cameras. Which means we won't be able to get anyone other than M'gann and I inside. No backup." I shrugged, yanking off the wing and letting my natural hair fall around my shoulders.

"And the exhibit holding room?" he inquired.

"No vents or windows. But we can still do it."

"How? There's no exit route."

"We get out the same way we got in. Miss Martian can phase us through the wall or something. But we'd have to be quick and not separate." Not having worn them for a long time, my contacts were getting annoying, so I tried taking them out without a mirror. I got the left one out without a problem, but with the annoying gloves still on my hands, I managed to get the right one out, but scratched my eye in the process. "Ow!" I yelped, wincing from the pain.

"What happened? Are you okay?" he asked when he saw me holding my eye.

"I think I scratched my cornea(outer layer of the eye)." I sniffed, being a wimp and starting to tear up.

"Here, let me see." he said, gently moving my hands and holding my eye open. My left eye was closed and I couldn't really see anything from the right, seeing as everything was blury. He blew cool air on my eye softly, which helped calm it down. I sighed in content and relief. "Better?" he asked,his minty breath blowing over my face as he removed his hand.

My eyesight came back into focus, and I saw that he was still very close to my face. "Very." I whispered. We subconciously began to lean towards each other until we were interupped.

"Miss Martian to Nightwing." the intercom in his ear said, causing us both to jump, bumping forheads.

"Shit." he hissed, rubbing his head. "Nightwing to Miss Martian. What is it?" he asked, obviously annoyed.

"Was the recon mission a success?"

"I think so. Fox says that the mission is doable, so set the plan into action. Send the rest to infltrate the other museums and to get the other scarabs. We need you here in London by tonight so that we can brief you on the plan. It's going down tomorrow night."

"Acknowledged. I'll be there. See you guys soon."

-Dick's POV-

"Acknowledged. I'll be there. See you guys soon."  SO CLOSE. SO F****** CLOSE. SO WING- DINGING CLOSE. We were about to kiss! M'gann had horrible timing.

I knew that moment was gone when Lexi stood up and went to the kitchen. "Want a sandwich?" she called, acting as if nothing happened.

"Yeah, sure. Whatever." I mumbled. This is going to be a long 36 hours until the heist.

----------------------------------------------------------

YAY NEXT CHAPTER IS UP! COMMENT AND VOTE MY LOVES!