The Truth- Chapter 16

-Dick's POV- 

When we arrived back at the Warehouse, Lexi and I changed into civilian clothes and after a quick debrief, I asked her to join me on a walk. We wandered through Blüdhaven aimlessly for awhile, then decided to get ice cream. We ate in silence until I finally spoke up. 

"What are you hiding from me?"  I blurted. She faced me, looking slightly confused. 

"Excuse me?" 

" I know that you're hiding something from me. What aren't you telling me?"  

"About what? I honestly have no idea what you're talking about, Dick." 

I ran my hands over my face, not knowing how to phrase my question. I didn't even really know what I was asking about in the first place. "Where did you really go when you left me Lexi?" 

Her eyes flashed with caution. "I transferred to the Rosethron Academy for Exceptional Young Women."   She told me in a monotone voice, almost like it was practiced. 

"There's something that you're not telling me. Lexi, please don't keep secrets from me." She came to a halt, looking like she was thinking very hard. When she didn't answer, I continued. "You've... learned things from that school. Havent you? Skills that Batman definatly didn't teach you." She glanced up and inspected me. Then her eyes flashed with first, uncertainty, then determination, and finally, trust. 

'You're right. I haven't told you the full story..." She took a deep breath. "Rosethorn is a school for exceptional young women. But no one knows just how excepional we really are." 

"What do you mean by that?" I questioned. 

"Rosethorn... Rosethorn is a school that trains CIA operatives." 

I choked on the milkshake I was sipping. " What?!"  

"Do I really need to say it again?"  she said softly. 

"Lexi... you... are you serious? So... all of this was just some ploy by the government! And you went along with it! I thought... I thought you loved me." 

"No Dick, you've got it all wrong!"

"How?! Explain it to me then!" She opened her mouth to speak, but no words came out. "Just as I thought. You can't!" 

"Dick, I... I can explain! I just don't know where to start!!"  

"I don't want to hear it Lexi. You lied to me. I can't trust you."

"I never lied to you!! I just didn't tell you the whole truth! You never asked! I'm not a traitor Dick! I could never betray you." 

"Lexi, you told me that the reason you were accepted to that school was because your mom knows the Principal there. I highly doubt that your mother is best friends with the woman who runs a school training spies!" 

"Dick, you're forgetting one important detail." 

"And what might that be?!" I snapped.

"The mother that you're reffering to is my adoptive mom. I've only lived with them for about six or so years, give or take a few." 

"Your birth mother is dead though Lexi."  

"No, she isnt. We assumed that she was. Or that she had abandoned me. But.... no. My mother is... or was with with the CIA. My father too. I was about one at the time when... well..." She stopped short, glancing up at me for a moment then looking back down at her feet. 

"Well?" I prompted. 

"My mother gave a home birth when she had me. There were no records of me in any databases, and they were okay with that, because they figured that it would be safer for me, considering what they did for a living. But one night they left on a job and I was with a babysitter. They never came back for me, and eventually the babysitter just left. I have no idea how I came to move in with the circus, but I did, and they all assumed that I was just same poor abandoned child. Which I guess I was, but not by choice." She took a shaky breath and continued. "My father was killed. My mom has been in a coma all these years. She only just woke up three years ago. " 

I stared at her, absorbing this information, wondering if it was the truth. "And then?" 

"She had been looking for me, Dick. And when she found me, I was searching for alternative schools. So she called a friend who send me a letter of acceptance to Rosethorn Academy. And when I got there, everything was revealed. Of course, I decided that living with my current family was the best decision. I love them so much. They've all met, but of course they think that she got hit by a car and was in a coma." 

"Why didn't you just tell me that then?" 

"When I got there, I had no idea what the school really was. And when I found out? Well, it was so cool! And there were so many things for me to learn! I stayed, my mother taught the covert operations class, and I was good at everything there Dick. I loved it. Why didn't I tell you? It wasn't exactly my secret to tell. I'm not with the CIA. I never was. I didn't want that life. That's why I moved to Austrailia. I needed change. But the things I learned there are helping me now."

I studied her, pondering her words. She seemed sincere, and I honestly wanted to believe her, but I was hesitant. She must have sensed this.

"If you don't believe me, then I have a proposition for you." 

"And what might that be?" 

"My school reunion is in two weeks. Come with me. I'm allowed to bring a friend. Of course... you don't have at least level four clearance... but I'm sure that I can get them to let you in."  

This satisfied me. "Deal. I'll go." 

She smiled, and it reached her eyes. "Good. And Dick... just so you know... I didn't want to keep any of that from you. But I honestly thought that it wouldn't matter. I mean... I just.... I'm sorry." 

"It's okay." I assured her, gripping her hand. "Will I get to meet your mom?" 

"If you want." she shrugged. "Do you want to head back? I'm sore and tired." 

"Sure thing babe. Want a rub down?" I asked, wiggling my eyebrows, but meaning it. if my girlfriend wanted a massage, then she would definitely have a massage.

She smiled up at me, leaning into my side. "I'd love that actually. I'm going to take you up on that. You do have the magic hands." 

"You would know." I smirked, pressing a kiss to her temple as we walked back to the warehouse.

"You're such a flirt." she laughed.

"Only for you." I winked. 

"Lets just go and freshen up, then we can go back to my parents penthouse. I'm sure they wont mind you staying over. And honestly, sleeping alone isn't an option. I refuse to when I have such a warm, comfortable hunk of pure muscle."  She winked back. 

"Then lead the way, beautiful." And we walked to the closest Zeta-tube, at total peace being in each others company, and I was content with my new knowledge of my girlfriend. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TADA!! WAS THAT UNEXPECTED OR WHAT!??!?!??! PLEEAASEEE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!!

And no, she is NOT lying to him. At all. Just .... omg... I 'm so excited to finish this. The thrid book has the best plot line guys. COMMENT AND VOTE MY PRETTIES!