Chapter85: Unwanted threat

David's POV

It's five a.m., and Ariel has finally fallen asleep. Last night, after we decided to go on a break, we watched national documentaries on Netflix. Neither of us was in the mood to watch any movies or series.

I fell asleep before her, but around two fifty-five, I woke up to her crying in the dark. She has been crying from then till four fifty. And all I wanted to do was hold her.

All I wanted to do was comfort her, tell her some stupid joke or an embarrassing story, anything to stop her tears. To have her sleep peacefully and happily and not sobbing herself to sleep. But the guilt won't let me do any of those things, reminding me that this was what I've done.

Grabbing a pan from the refrigerator, writing a note for Ariel. Telling her that I'll see her at practice this morning. I made sure to sign with my full name, letting her know that the note came from me this time.

Today's practice is gonna be a one where we'll just be polishing the basics and techniques. Uncle Richie doesn't want the team to overwork themselves before the tournament. Preventing us from getting injured before the quarter finals.

Grabbing an apple from the fruit bowl before heading towards the door, "You could stay for breakfast,"

I'm not surprised to see Cameron staying in the kitchen, I heard the guestroom's door opened. Was hoping it would be Haylie waking up, actually hoping no one had woken up. "I need to get back to campus. Gotta get ready for practice."

"So, why not go to campus with Jennifer?" He asked in a serious tone, the same tone of voice that he used last night. Being protective over her, which I respect and would have reacted the same way. If we were in the same position, we both wanted to protect her. "Why leave without her?"

My jaw clutched as the guilt kept reminding me of the soft crying from Ariel. I want to stay, want to be with her, but I. . . can't. I really want to stay, be with her, I would give anything up to stay.

Loosening the grab on the red apple before saying, "Give Ariel a hug for me."

As I walked out of the building, every step became heavier and harder. It felt like this invisible line was pulling me from the back. Tugging my heart that wants to fly back to Ariel to be with her.

Even driving back to campus was harder. The pull became more difficult and almost painful. This break is not gonna be easy for me, nor will it be for Ariel. I wish that I could make it easy for us, but I might mess things up and could even more harm.

Walking through the Dorm building was like hell, remembering how everything had happened. It took all of my willpower to not go on the fifth floor and tear Stephanie apart.

Opening the dorm room, finding Ryan almost done packing his backpack, "Hey man, where have you been? Have you found Jeanie? Where was she? How is she, is she alright?"

If Ariel and I weren't dating, I might have grown jealous and threatened by Ryan's concerns. But knowing that he and her are friends and him dating her roommate put that thought out.

"She's fine. We have been at her cousin's penthouse." I answered while grabbing clean clothes and a towel. As much as I want to give him the run-down of everything, right now, I don't want to talk.

You still have to tell her the truth, though. Another different, irritating inner voice whispered to me. Not the usual cocky, smart-mouth inner voice that has been unable to stop pointing out the obvious.