𝘙𝘪𝘴𝘬𝘺 𝘊𝘢𝘭𝘭

ᗩ᙭ᗴᒪ
♡︎

𝗜 𝗚𝗢𝗧 𝗛𝗢𝗠𝗘 an hour later. I had made sure to check for any other left behinds from Rose. There wasn't any, just the one. I took my shoes off at the door and leisurely made my way to our room.

I stopped, checking my hand. I stuck my hand into my pants pocket, taking the ring from it. I exhaled heavily and brushed my hair back. I opened the door, taking my suit jacket off as I did.

Rachel was sitting in bed, reading a book. I've never seen her read anything aside from a magazine with her pictures in it. She gazed at me and closed the book.

"So, how did it go?"

"Great."

"Well you don't sound very enthusiastic about it."

"Well Rachel, that's because you're father is also planning out my future like I'm his son. Not son-in-law, no, but his actual son that has to be forced to carry on his father's generational legacy."

"I mean you do owe him after he's helped you after this time."

I couldn't help my laughter. "Right. How could I forget the ten million dollars Mr.Yawkings invested in me just to decline the repayment years after I've made twice as much as that. And more than him by the way. And now he's selling me bullshit that I owe him?"

"But you do. He helped you when your parents died. He took you in, he paid for your college tuition, he did everything for you Axel and it's time you pay him back."

I got silent. My parents. I undressed in my quiet. Then it all hit me. I don't feel bad at all sleeping with Rose. In all of this storm of arguments and disagreements with Rachel, she's been nothing but the calm.

Always making me laugh, giving me ideas to help grow my business. Even if they were just business dates I found out almost everything about her. From her likes, to her dislikes. We had much in common...especially the fact that we didn't want to go back to the past with our parents.

"I'm not sure I want to talk about my parents."

I had laughed. "Yeah. Me neither. I guess that's where the professionalism comes in huh?"

"Hasn't it always been professional?"

I was stunned by her answer. Taken aback, I took it as a rhetorical question. "Yes, I guess it has."

In truth, after that...I think that's where I began to see her as more than just my assistant. More than just someone that sorted out my schedule and arranged my meetings.

"Axel I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bring up your parents. I-I know how emotional you get." Rachel stood in front of me and touched my face. "I'm sorry." She whispers. "I shouldn't have said that. We could go out tomorrow since we barely have time together. What do you say? Hm?"

I stared at her, my thoughts elsewhere. "Come on Axe...I'm sorry. A-and we should forget about the mayor thing for a while. How about we go on the boat tomorrow? Hm?"

I wanted to curse her. To shout at her for having dare bringing up my parents. But thankfully I didn't.

"If you were a good wife...you wouldn't have brought my parents into this."

"Axel I-

"Or of how you don't care what your father's doing. Or how you don't want kids even after you sold me the dream of it all in high school. And now that you're forcing me to fire my assistant, and forcing me to be mayor, I'll sleep on the fucking couch, for as long as we're married Rachel. I hope you're fucking happy."