𝘙𝘢𝘨𝘦 𝘛𝘰𝘸𝘯

ᗩ᙭ᗴᒪ

𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗡 𝗔𝗙𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗛𝗘 mixup with her parents we still stayed. I knew I mention my company's name but I didn't expect for them to look it up. Maybe he had waited it out to check and see if I was being legit or not. I had forced myself through my second plate, feeling myself about to burst at any given moment.

But the food was amazing. Then after I went out to the backyard with her father to have a bit of a "talk", with a bottle of cold beer.

It was late in the evening. "I'm sorry about what happened inside. We just, as her parents, want what's best for her."

"I understand that Mr.Hoffman."

"Mark is alright. We're both grown men." I can understand Mark more than I can Rosemary. "But I want to get to the bottom of you and your ex wife. If you can divorce your wife of decades I assume, what makes you think you won't do the same to my baby girl? Hm? You're way older than she is, old enough to be her father even." I grimaced at that.

Rose isn't twenty, she's nearly thirty. I wanted to mention it but I kept my mouth closed. She told me that her parents never allowed her to do what she wanted to. Seems like they're still trying to dictate her choices. I can understand it now, considering that I divorced Rachel and now it's on the media—god knows how long that's been circling around—that they only want her to be careful.

"Mark." I say trying to familiarize myself with saying his first name.

He tapped my shoulder. "Rose has had a few male interests I'm sure. All these lowlives 'round here was always popping eyes at my little girl. Good for nothings I say. Thankfully we had her focused on her education. Even if she went her separate way with her academics, I was always proud of my baby girl."

I felt like this was something he should be telling her and not me. "Does she know that? That you're proud of her?" He laughs, hitting my shoulder playfully. They hurt.

"Why wouldn't she? All those trophies aren't for decoration. Her mother and I would always be proud of her." Again, he should tell her that. Rose told me she disappointed them when she walked across that stage to collect a different degree.

So she doesn't know that they're "proud" of her. I drank from my beer, just a sip, gazing at the banana tree and listening to faint sounds of crickets.

"I know what the news may say, but it's true. I love Rose." He looked me a small smile tugging his lips. His jaw clenched as he brought the tip of the bottle to his lips, his brows creasing. I can see that Mark holds more of a softness towards Rose. He's been okay with everything the entire time.

Her mother seems less loosened up despite hugging me earlier and laughing. "I'm glad she came back." He says after a sip. "I'm glad she came to see us after so long."

This time I was the one to rest an arm on his shoulder. "Then tell her that. She still thinks she's a disappointment to the both of you due to what her degree says. She's a woman now, she's no longer a child."

He nods. "You right. I'll do that." He stuck out his hand and I thought he was just going for a handshake until he pulled me close to him and tapped my back—the bottom of his beer bottle brushing my clothes.

"Thanks man."

Axel and I finally made it back to our hotel. Part of me wished I could've stayed there for just one more night but we leave tomorrow. Tomorrow afternoon to be precise. Sure we'll have lots to do prior to our leaving time but it's always good to be prepared.

After dad and Axel had went outside to talk I helped mom clean up. We didn't say much at first until she told me: "You better know what you doing with that man."

"Axel is a nice man mom. To be truly honest he's the first person to ever make me feel so loved. He's funny, fun and he's financially stable—not that I care much about that. But he loves me and I love him. His ex wife, Rachel, gave him hell and-

"And nothin'. And? And?" She mocked. "I raised you better. Godly man, him go church?, him read him bible? Hm?"

"Momma it's not that serious. Axel is a good man. If you don't approve then that's fine. And I can't just toss religion at him if he's never been taught it before. I'll ask him. If he wants to go I'll take him. But I love him."

"I just hope you know what you doing."

I laid beside him, propping my leg over his waist. "Today was fun." I shook my head with an eye-roll. "Your dad was alright, your mom...I don't think she really likes me."

"She'll come around with it. What did you and my dad talk about anyway?"

"Mm, nothing much. Just that he should talk to you. He wanted to tell you something, not sure if he did before we left."

"Oh? Something like what?"

He gave me a peck on the lips. "He'll tell you. Just get rest because tomorrow we go back to Rage Town."

"You nervous?"

"Not at all. I've got my money, I've got my freedom, I've got you. Rachel might have put everything on the news to gain traction or her father may have done so to make election hard for me but hey, they took from me, so I'm going to be petty and take something from them."

"You're really going to run for mayor huh?"

"Mr.Yawkings told me that he didn't believe the rumors between you and I. "A black woman and the son in law of the mayor running Rage Town?"

My jaw dropped. "Are you serious?"

"It's what he said. I didn't take him for a racist until during that conversation and him literally threatening me." Axel held my thigh, pulling me closer. It turned me on.

"Fuck what they have to say." He whispers. Axel shuffled and pulled my panty to the side. "You want to?" He asks against my neck.

"Yeah."

"I love you, Rose...I mean that." He shoved his cock inside of me and I hitched in a breath.

"I love you too."

~