𝙷𝚊𝚞𝚗𝚝 𝚈𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝙴𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢 𝙳𝚊𝚢

'“Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel.”

—  Socrates

4x5

Rosemary was in the Resident locker room, watching Meredith put the bag of her mother's ashes somewhere in her cubby.

"What are we looking at?" Cristina asked walking into the room.

"Meredith put her mom in a baggie and brought her to work"

"I had to get her out of my closet. She was haunting me"  Meredith told them.

"And now she's haunting us all"

"I'm putting her to rest"

"Meredith is cleansing. In tribal culture, one wants to cleanse the past, one cuts off all of one's hair and buries it in the earth. You might try that, too"

"What is--" Cristina was about to say but was cut off by the door opening and Callie walked in with Bailey.

"Okay, listen up. Today is a holiday, which means the pit will be overrun. You've got the usual drunken stupidity--" Callie said.

"And then you've got Seattle's annual chainsaw pumpkin carving contest. I love this city"

"Stay on your toes, stay on top of your interns, okay?"

"So we should round before heading to the pit or--" Izzie started to say but was cut off.

"Yeah, you should direct your questions to Dr. Bailey, Stevens," Callie said and began to walk away.

"Oh, we're directing our questions too. Dr. Bailey?"

"Oh, not you. Just Stevens" Callie said.

"Why is Stevens directing her questions to Dr. Bailey?"

"Because she's been sleeping with my husband," Callie said.

Everyone didn't know where to look so they looked to the floor or the wall.

"All righty, then. Have a good day" Callie said walking out.

Once Callie was out of the room everyone turned to look at Izzie. Izzie looked at the ceiling for a few moments before walking out not wanting to feel their stare on her.

"Okay, this is even more disturbing than your bashful of Mommy"

Rosemary was standing out in the pit, with Lexi, Izzie, and George, waiting for the ambulance to get close to them.

"If you two need to talk, we could wait over there," Lexi said pointing a little ways down.

"Why? It's not like we have any secrets anymore. Callie told everyone. Everyone"

"Yeah, it's gonna be a long day," George said.

Rosemary nodded her head in agreement. "Tell me about it" she mumbled.

"Erin Shanley, 34, massive head trauma when a brick came through her windshield. G.C.S, of 3 in the field"

"A brick came through her windshield?" George asked, making sure he heard correctly.

"Damn kids were screwing around on a bridge, Halloween crap"

"I'm looking at brain matter here," Izzie said.

"I checked. She's a donor"

"Oh. My god" George and Lexi said.

"What?"

"Her Father's on three. He's wanting for a new heart" George said walking back inside.

"Shit" Rosemary mumbled and followed behind George.

Rosemary was in Erin's room with her brother, George, and Lexi while Mr. Shanley is sitting in a chair next to his daughter's bed.

"She's warm. It doesn't make sense"

Rosemary then started to chew on her fingers a little, a habit she had picked up over the years. Lexi noticed and grabbed her hand and held it in her own and rubbing her thumb on the back of her hand. Rosemary looked at her and gave her a thankful smile.

"I'm-- I'm sorry. She's breathing with the help of machines. Erin-- the person that you knew-- isn't there anymore" Derek told him.

Mr. Shanley looked at his daughter and then to the doctors. "Uh... would you bring the paperwork?"

Derek nodded his head. "Mm-hmm"

"You can have her... have her-- her organs. That's what she wanted"

"And her heart?" George asked.

"Give it to someone else" Mr. Shanley whispered loud enough for them to hear.

Rosemary is in Erin's room with Izzie, George, and Lexi. They were all standing around and gonna try and convince Mr. Shanley, to take his daughter's heart.

"Mr. Shanley, I'm Dr. Hahn. The transplant team is in place. If you're ready to say good-bye"

"You must not have children"

Dr. Hahn looked at him. "I'm sorry?"

"If you had children, you'd never say that. You'd never say if you're ready to say good-bye"

"Mr. Shanley, I'm very sorry, but I want to suggest one last time--"

"No, I am not taking her heart. I can't have my daughter's heart beating in my chest it would haunt me every say of it life. No!"

"All right. I'm very sorry for your loss" Dr. Hahn said and started to walk out. "Page me when he's ready," she said to George and Izzie and handed them the binders.

"Mr. Shanley... I don't have kids, so I don't know what it's like to lose a child, but I do know what it's like to lose a parent. Your daughter loved you. I saw her this morning. She was fighting for you. She was fighting for your life. You're her dad. You're her dad. She didn't want to leave you. I know that. I also know that whe would want you to have her heart. I would've given my dad my heart if I could. If I could've saved him... I would've given him by heart"

It was silent for a couple of seconds but Mr. Shanley nodded his head. "All right"

Rosemary wasn't in the O.R. When Mr. Shanley was getting his heart replaced, but she was in the gallery watching from there because she couldn't bring herself to be in the room.

Maybe it was because it reminded her of her own dad dying, and just being in the room brought back those memories of his lifeless body lying on the ground. And she knew if they were brought back up or she was seeing it in her mind again she knew it wasn't gonna end well for her.

Edited: no

{987}