Chapter 4

Season 1 Episode 4

Mahira POV

The moment I arrived into my small penthouse, I changed my mind about going to the club. Tali staggered in behind me; I knew she was intoxicated and would most likely stay the night, but at least I wouldn't push her out without allowing her to clean up.

My hunger didn't have to grumble for me to race to the fridge and grab a half-eaten chicken sandwich from the previous day. I took a huge mouthful, then gripped the half-empty soda bottle and slurped the icy beverage down.

"Are we hitting the club?" Tali muttered, her body swaying in a single halt as she glanced at me.

I stared at the towering female, whose heels made her appear like a giant in my living room.

"I spent virtually the whole day hiding from someone. Do not question why I was hiding in the first place. Just know I was." The club was the least of my worries. I needed to prepare my proposal to send to my father. I can't bear the idea that someone traveled in from Italy to take over my work.

"It isn't that horrible to have someone do your dirty work. You may hide yourself in your office and do anything you want." Tali owns her own hair and nail business, which I frequently visit.

I was one of her top twenty highest-paying customers.

"If I don't take control sooner or later. Coming to your beauty store will be a short visit." Her salon store was the most costly in Los Angeles. But without looking at the numbers, the price was the least of my concerns.

Tali was the genuine thing since she provided discounts a million times over. But wealthy folks do not accept discounts. Rich folks don't look at money; we just spend it.

"I'm certain she's not that horrible."

"Well, I will find out tomorrow. Because I could see her sitting with the other stockholders, which would be unjust." It takes years for my two brothers and me to sit in those large black seats at the long table. She unexpectedly rose to the position of floor management.

"I will be poor." I murmured as I moved my body around the kitchen and into the living room. My pent house was an all-in-one structure, which I was OK with because knowing the price allowed me to sleep easily at night. I began peeling off my dress, leaving it on the ground, and then kicking it into a corner where it would most likely remain forever.

"At the very least, those reductions will come in useful." She dropped on my bed like a cut-down tree, as if the alcohol had worn her bones. I came over to the dresser and took the makeup remover and a cotton pad.

"This Valentine's Day, I decided to visit the city of love. Perhaps I could see her."

"What country is that?"

I gazed at the drunk girl through the box-shaped mirror. Did she really not realize that Paris was the city of love for this Valentine?

"Rory's not coming back. She departed almost four years ago.

"Close to Valentine will mark five years." I muttered while brushing my finger through my matted hair. I shuddered at the dried-up sperm cells that were practically caked in my strands.

"Someone creampied my face." I went for the brush, hoping that a few of my strands had been detangled.

Tali grinned as her body pressed up against my bed. I knew we couldn't talk about our hookups while hunting for more connections. But being here, partly nude in front of the mirror, wasn't too horrible.

"She fucked my throat. She's a jerk, and thank God I wouldn't see her again." I rolled my eyes and set my brush down. My jet black hair revealed the apparent signs of what transpired last.

"Then what else?"

"She was the best fuck I'd ever had." I remarked, taking up the cotton pad, which had already been soaked in makeup remover. I started putting it all over my face, and my freckles began to appear, and I instantly wanted to cover them up with makeup. Many people stated that my pale complexion, frickles, and forest green orbs were a gift from the Devine. But I just see a cursed face and body.

No wonder she dumped me. I am hideous.

I caught Tali gazing. "Better than her?"

"Yes."

"But that means nothing. I love Rory."

"Rory had her life mapped out. She knew she was in love with Lake and that they were going to relocate across the world." Tali was correct. We all moved in the same circle. Lake and Rory were pals. We had no idea they would fall madly in love and plan an escape from the city of Woo.

"Part of her still loves me." I exhaled.

"However, no part of her will ever return."

Rory didn't phone me until she was somewhere in Europe, informing me that Lake and she were destined to be together. What stung the most was when she told me to take care of myself. I shouldn't smoke.

But that day, February 12, 2023, was just two days before Valentine's Day. When the dusk and black sky neared, I realized she was gone, and I began smoking again.