Chapter 13

Season 1 Episode 13

Mahira POV

Flash back....

"How was the class?" Rory tosses her two-tone, red and black Adidas bag onto the bed. She sighed, exhausted. As I was making a chicken sandwich in the kitchen, she came over to me.

"The class was challenging and dull. Thank God, Lake gave me her notes. I drift off." She kissed my cheeks as she wrapped her somewhat lean arms around me. I could feel her blonde pixie cut hair jabbing against my neck. She used to have long black hair. But she desired a change of style.

I chuckled. "I told you to come work with me at my father's firm. It pays well. College is not all that." I turned around in her arms and looked up at her gorgeous blue eyes.

"I told you I simply want to go to college, get my degree, and then I can do whatever I want." She murmured this as she leaned down and pecked my lips, her warm hand sliding against my shoulder blades.

"Are you certain?" I exhaled.

"Positive, and you have been very helpful. I am staying with you. You are paying—".

"I told you not to talk about it." Rory was from eastern America, specifically the state of Maryland. Her state was famed for fishing and produces the most blue crabs in the United States. She promised to take me up there eventually, but with her education in the way and her refusal to accept any more money from me, getting there is difficult.

She laid her chin on my shoulder and started spinning it around. My hand was busy preparing a sandwich. "So, who is Lake? A dude or something?" As I began slicing the sandwich into cubes, the contents began to fall out.

"She's merely a female that I'm friends with. We're in the same lecture group.

I lifted my brow, still focused on making the sandwich. "Really." I murmured, licking the mayonnaise off my fingers. "How close?"

"Not too close; we studied several times. Not a huge deal."

**************

"I believe it was the first time you should've realized Rory was playing around with this chick." Tali exclaimed as she broke into her lobster's shell. Tali and I decided to have lunch early. I haven't done my report yet, and it was scheduled for just after lunch.

"Why would I think Rory was cheating? Not with the way she praised me." Rory was always there to remind me how much I looked out for her.

How much I love her. Because I believed I wasn't giving her the affection she desired.

When Rory mentioned her that day and told me it was no big deal, I dismissed the subject. I trusted her. It was all about the truth. Nothing more than that.

I struggled with the seafood boiled bag, attempting to pool the sauce over the red gently cooked potatoes. "Rory used you."

"Thank you for reminding me." I replied, giving her my red, sassy thumbs up finger.

"I can't believe after so long, you still can't leave it alone." There was no part of me that could. I want to know. What Lake had, I do not have.

If I was so fucking kind to her, why would I leave? We've always desired the same thing. At least, it sounded like we did.

"How can I? She just left me. Wouldn't that confuse and crush your heart? Drive you insane?"

"All I'm proposing is that we discuss something different. We talk about Rory every day."

"Alright, dammit." I said, feeling a little wounded. Nobody understands. Because it appeared like no one in Los Angeles fell in love or had their blasted hearts shattered. I buried my fingers into the Valentine-themed napkin.

"What's up with everyone, and this awful holiday?" I started clawing at the hearts.

"So Sage doesn't look that bad?"

"Who? Who is Sage?"

"Your boss, Angelo Sage. You left me with your siblings, and they introduced me to practically everyone. "Sage Angelo isn't too awful."

"Oh her." I replied, as though I had known her first name all along. I didn't and didn't want to know. I just know that she provided the best sex possible. I couldn't tell Tali I was messing around with her. I don't want anyone else to know about this, even if Tali was my best friend.

"Yeah right. She is the worst. Why do you suppose I'm taking an early lunch? That's because she is so adamant about my doing that ridiculous report." After Dark femininity class, I believed I could finish it; after all, there were only 2000 words left to write about the entire file, and my mind went blank again.

"She's sweet. Very flirty. But she's a gentlewoman. She has a little of everything." I simply viewed her as a nasty jerk who enjoyed using her cock on me.

"How adorable. She isn't like that with me. I missed class because of her." I'm not sure why a part of me enjoys playing this little game with her.

Perhaps it was because I was so determined to win.

"So..."

"Yes, Tali?"

"She was gone at supper, and you were too."

"Don't even bother twisting it. I do not know where she went. But I know I was in a random room." Getting fucked by her.

"I watched her climb the stairs."

"That does not imply anything."

"I will find out."

"You won't find out anything since there is nothing to discover." I mumbled as I cracked a shell with my teeth. The sauce from the seafood was all over my lips, and the small plastic bib they provided wasn't enough to keep the food from getting on my work clothing. I knew I was going to smell like the sea all day.

"Did you do a threesome with my brothers?" I began sipping liquid from the shell. I cleared my throat as the spice was scorching my throat. My expression turned disgusted as I waited for her answer, only to see a sneer on her lips.

"Eww. You did it! You're really nasty." I threw the crab legs down, "How did you even get to accomplish that?"

"At supper. In a random room."

I chuckled, "You hound."

My phone vibrated on the table, and when I looked over, I saw a text message from an unknown number.

Unknown: Lunch is over. You have fewer than 10 minutes to get back to the office.

I scowled in disgust; it had to be Angelo. How the fuck did she obtain my number? "I swear to God." I whispered.

"What?"

"Look at this." My slick fingers picked up the phone and turned it to face her.

"Who is that?"

"Angelo." I scoffed. "She just cannot give me a fucking break." My phone's screen streaks with sauce and oil when I press the notification to reply.

Me: fuck you.

"You know, I was going to go right back to work, but just for this little act she performs. I am going to get another round of food."

"Well, I need to get back to work."

"Aww, seriously?" I was hoping she would crash in on me, attempting to spite my so called boss."

"I've got a client." She said, wiping the oil off her face. She began digging into her bag.

"No, I will pay for it. You can leave."

"Okay, girl. So, assuming Sage does not punish you for being a naughty girl, I will meet you at the club.

"She can't do shit."