Chapter 20

Season 1 Episode 20

Mahira POV

Strolling through Angelo and I joint workplace. I observed four cups of Tim Horton's coffee already on her table. Everything appeared to be in perfect condition, with her office chair hidden behind her desk. It appeared she had not yet arrived. She was probably not going to come in until noon, when she had lunch with the stockholders. I was still waiting for them to invite me.

The entire weekend was a waste of time and energy because I didn't get to talk to my father, let alone influence him. Not with the manipulator blocker right there.

I went to Xia's office, and she was there, whirling around in her chair and looking up at the ceiling.

"Morning, let's have some breakfast."

"Is Angelo in?"

"No, we should hurry before she arrives. She's with my dad."

"What do you have in mind?"

"Somewhere they won't throw their Valentine's Day advertising goods in my face. I just want to relax and eat without seeing anything about roses and hearts." I detest it. However, I recall a period when I enjoyed Valentine's. I'd already be shopping for jewelry, the best chocolate, and reserving the most expensive restaurant for Rory and I. I went through with all of the procedures. Now, I was a dull girl who simply wanted to find myself again.

"Good luck with that. But I know a spot that serves the finest waffles and eggs."

"As long as it's excellent." I stated as we headed for the stairs rather than the elevator. The last thing I wanted was Angelo to come up as we were heading down and ruin everything. Work did not formally begin until the next thirty minutes. I just hope the restaurant wasn't too busy.

"Any success getting her transferred from this floor?" Xia asked.

"Thank you for reminding me that I fail at these things. I thought I could have a one-on-one with Dad, but guess who came jumping."

"Her." Xia sighed.

"Dad said he invited her." I spent the entire afternoon trying to communicate to my own father, but he is preoccupied with some handicap. It's like every where I turned, this stinking woman is there." My intention to fall love her had long since been abandoned, but I was now contemplating it. Perhaps I can accomplish it. I need something to make her glance in a different direction.

"I suppose your father simply wants you to do whatever she says."

I frowned, "All she does is send me a lot of reports to amend. There's nothing else. I haven't slept for days. Look how hideous I am."

"You are the lucky one. I have to get out of bed like I'm in the fucking army to bring her four cups of high quality coffee. She doesn't even drink them hot, and worse, she knows exactly when I bring them in."

"She is a—." Feeling strangled by Angelo, rush form. I quickly drew Xia back and shoved her behind me as I watched her race through the main entrance. What was she doing here so early? Did she detect that we were making a run for the restaurant?

"What is it?"

"Her." I responded. The security guard stopped and inspected her belongings.

"Do you think we should turn back?"

"What, no!"

"We still have a lot more time. Plus, you've already brought her coffee. She will not realize that you are absent."

She grabbed her laptop bag and started going for the elevator; I swiftly ducked behind the wall as she passed us. If she had so much as turned her head, she would have noticed us.

As soon as the elevator door opened and she arrived, we made a hurried getaway. We dash along the street, as if we were getting chased.

"When we go back, we're going to be in serious trouble."

"Let's satisfy our bellies first."

***************

I walked inside the office, my hand grasping the largest frosty shake; it was a little cold, but I did it to spite Angelo.

The ice was loud when it smashed against each other, and I'm sure the slurping sound would be like a nail on a chalkboard.

"Where is Xia?" She asked.

"Who?" I inquired dumbly, as if Xia and I had not just exited the elevator and were walking around the building as if we owned it.

"Xia." She gritted. "She was meant to take an important business call, but I was dealing with another client."

"Perhaps you didn't call her loud enough." I replied, sipping my drink. Her eyes bobbed as she stared at the drink. Wow! It was actually working. If someone sneezes or coughs, it makes her irritated, so why not have an icy drink?

I was freezing on the inside. However, the death from my body freezing to death would be worth it.

"Go call her."

"No," I said, heading to my desk.

"Ok. Watch and see." She grinned, picking up the phone and dialing what I later learned was Xia's office. Soon after, the panicked girl dashed in.

"Yes, Ma'am."

"Where were you, Xia?"

Xia stared at me, indicating for assistance. I grumbled, "We went to get—"

"I am not talking to you, Ms. Apis!" She shouted.

"Xia." She urged the girl to explain. She swallowed and looked to me for assistance once again. I was not meant to listen to her. This was my father's firm. She can't fire me for talking back.

"We have breakfast." I gritted.

"Shut up, Ms. Apis."

"Pordon?"

"Xia, you are fired!" She shouted. "Since you have caused this firm a major clientele, you are immediately sacked from this company and the job of assistant."

"What!" Xia and I both yelled. "You cannot fire her. You have no rights."

"You are correct, Ms. Apis. I have no rights. But I have advantages."

"She isn't fired." I argued loudly.

"Xia, pack your stuff."

"Xia, remain right there. As a floor manager to you, you're hired."

"You have no right to that." Angelo replied.

"My father has never taken away my position."

"Because I did."

"Excuse me, what?!" I yawped

"I took it away. From this point on, I am the floor manager. I am in charge of this level. I call the fucking shots and say anything goes. And I say Xia is fired. She has one hour to empty up her office so the successor may enter."