Chapter 15

Season 1 Episode 15

Mahira POV

My eyes felt as if two bricks were connected to them. My body felt sluggish, and my heart was pounding at a slow speed as I climbed the stairs in the hopes of being rejuvenated. Jordan, the security guy, claimed I looked like a nightmare on Elm Street. My hair did not seem to take the heat of the hot iron, and I burned my neck, as if someone was tormenting me.

When I opened the door, I saw that the floor was really nicely coordinated and ordered. Everyone was working in their cubicles, like tiny rodents. I crawled towards my office, ready to slump onto the sofa, take a quick nap, and obsess about everything that was making my life stressful.

I grasped the silver handle and pushed with little effort, but I bumped into the side of the closed door. I frowned at the handle and jiggled it, hoping it would shift and ripple open, but all I got was still a closed door. I looked back at the employees, but they were too preoccupied to realize I was experiencing door troubles. Was I not gripping the handle correctly? Of course, I was. I've been opening the same silver-handled walnut door for a long time. Nothing has changed.

I walked to the side and noticed the shades were closed. What in the actual fuck? I snarled, and my fist sank into the hardwood. It definitely required a key. A key that my father owns. I haven't shut this door in decades.

Nobody dares to go in there and look around or grab anything. Something tells me the fucking disabled bitch had something to do with this.

I stormed down the corridor like an enraged monster about to attack an isolated village, but my heels didn't shake the floor, my breathing didn't emit smoke, and my eyes didn't fire lasers.

As usual, I barged in. I disregarded the men with beards adorned with curls and granules of gray hair. I ignored the woman in her fine skirt suit, who scrunched her face at my strange habit of staring Sage Angelo down.

"Where is it?"

"Ms. Apis, as you can see, I'm in the middle of a private meeting; please seat over there." Her hand motioned toward the office desk, which appeared to have my name plate on it. My eyes widen in dread and impending embarrassment as all pairs of hostile eyes focus on me.

Fuck you!

"Uh..." I cleared my throat. "Sorry for interrupting. I'll see my way out." I smiled at the three men and the woman. I immediately turned on my heels and walked out the door.

"What the fuck?" I grimaced, wanting to kick myself in the asshole. With performing research on my report the entire night, I was fatigued, irritated, and lost all brain cells concerning the relocation.

I sighed as I walked inside Xia's office. How come she has her own office but I have to share with that freak?

"I'm surprised to see you here. I assumed you needed something from me."

I groaned and dropped the laptop bag, which was pressing into my shoulder, on her desk. "Have you got any coffee? This fucking bitch is killing me." I complained. "My office is closed."

"Yeah, Ms. Angelo had relocated everything from your former office to hers. She indicated she wants you to stay close to her."

"It does not feel like that." I said. I know why I'd want her close.

But what was hers? It wouldn't simply be the fact that she didn't trust me. I was not a spy. "She is a control freak."

"Yes, she is. I nearly fell down the steps while hurrying to get into the city, only to get her four coffees on the table before she arrived."

"I vow to God that if she keeps me here on Valentine's Day, I will murder her."

"Do you have a date?"

"No. However, I am normally away for the full month of February. I travel by the European side. This year, there was theoretically no possibility of seeing Rory; one weary arm was perched on the edge, straining to pull away.

"I almost went wild when I saw how much I'd be getting paid." Xia murmured.

"How much is that?"

"6,000 bucks." She gasped, horrified. "What the heck am I doing with 6,000 dollars?"

"Same thing with me. We must put a stop to her. She can travel to a different floor and perform that crazy. Up here, we're kings and queens. Now we live like peasants. A number of us will be expelled from our homes." I said.

I knew for a sure that I was going to be evicted; no way in hell could I budget on $20,000.00.