Chapter 28

Katniss pov
I wake up to an annoying beeping sound. The first thing I see is Peeta he leans over and kisses me on the lips. "Thank God you're okay," he says. "What happened?" I ask. "After the bomb went off, you fell and hit your head. Gale carried you back to the craft, and they took you here to the hospital. You have a slight concussion, but you weren't injured too badly. " He pauses,"But your mother. " "Is dead" I finish for him. "What about Prim?" I ask he sighs. "After Prim found out about your mother, she had a psychotic break she tried to kill herself Dr Aurelius managed to stop her and restrain her but she fought him so hard that she pulled him onto the ground and dislocated his shoulder she had to be sedated" He finishes. "Did we win?" I ask he nods. "Yes, Snow has been arrested they're working on charging him with everything he's done." This is a lot to take in I run my hand through my hair and fight back the urge to cry we won but at a price my mom is dead we weren't particularly close but she was still my mom. And Prim, who knows what's gonna happen to her?

The next person who comes to see me is Gale, "Coin asked to see you in the mansion," he says.  What it ours”, I ask him. “ The delayed explosion, the trap to draw more people in” “Was that you”  “I don't know”, he says. “ All I know is I was supposed to take care of your family, and I'm sorry I couldn't” “You can’t protect anyone in an arena”, I mutter.  “Goodbye Gale”, I say to him. He looks hurt but leaves without another word. And just like that, my friendship with Gale is over.

We arrive at mansion. I need to see Snow.  He's being held in the garden of his mansion. "Sorry, miss can't let you in," one of the guards says as I approach the gate. "Let her in," Paylor says. "On my authority, she has a right to anything behind that door. The guard opens the door, and I walk in. There are white roses bushes everywhere. I pick one to put on his body when he dies. "That's a nice one." I turn to see Snow emerging from around the corner. "Though colors are lovely, nothing says perfection like a white." he sits down on a bench. "I was hoping you would find your way to my quarters." "But I have a feeling your visit will be brief. "First let me start by saying how very sorry I am about your mother" Well", he says " I must concede it was a masterful move on Coin's part" "releasing those parachutes to make it seem as though I was bombing our own helpless children" "You released those parachutes", I say.   He smiles. "  you really think I gave the order?"We both know I'm not above killing children, but I'm not wasteful. I take lives for specific reasons, and there was no reason for me to destroy a pin full of Capitol children. " He's interrupted by a hacking cough. "I'm sure she wasn't aiming for your mother, but these things happen in war."I don't believe you," I say. He smirks. " Oh my dear Mrs. Everdean, I thought we'd agreed never to lie to each other.

and I'm led to a room where I'm greeted by Coin and the other victors. "What's this?" The remaining victors, "Coin says."Will you join us? " I take a seat next to Peeta, and Haymitch and Coin begin talking. "I have invited you all here for several reasons but first let me start by announcing that I have taken the honor and the burden of declaring myself interim president of Panem" Haymitch scoffs "How long is that exactly interim"  "We have no way of knowing for certain" Coin answers " But it's clear the people are too emotional right now to make a rational decision we'll plan for an election when the time is right" "But I have called you all here for a more important reason". " In a few days, we will execute Snow hundreds of his accomplices also await their deaths Capitol officials, peacekeepers torturers game makers"  "But the problem is once we start calling for retribution the thirst for blood is a difficult urge to satisfy" So what I propose is this the majority for may approve no one may change their vote what I propose is this we hold a symbolic hunger game" There's silence in the room before I hear Johanna snicker "You wanna have another hunger games with Capitals children"? "You're joking," Peeta says. Coin shakes her head. "Not in the slightest." "Was this Plutarch's idea?" Haymitch questioned. "No," Coin says, "it was mine, "it balances the need for loss with the least of human life. You may cast your votes. "No," Peeta says, speaking up instantly. "Absolutely not. This is crazy."Well," Johanna says, "I think it's more than fair. Snow has a granddaughter," I say yes."So do I," Enaboria says, "let them have a taste of it." "Guys," Peeta says, " this way of thinking is what started these uprisings."I vote no," Annie says. "And Finnick would too if he were here."Well, he isn't," Johanna points out bluntly. " Because Snow killed him"  "No," Beetee says "It's time to seeing each other as enemies" Coin nods "it's down to Katniss and Haymitch" I look at Coin for several seconds she's the reason my mother is dead and the reason hundreds of innocent children are dead. "I get to kill Snow," I say. Coin nods. "I expected no less of you." Then I vote yes for my mother.