Chapter 6

Harry got up on the day of his birthday and let a small smile show on his face. Back when he was at the Dursleys, his birthday was never celebrated. He had asked Aunt Petunia about it and had received a major whack to his head with a hot frying pan. So he never knew when his birthday was until he was wished Happy Birthday on July 31st four years ago by his delightful house elves. He had been stunned and couldn't help but shed a few tears. Harry always controlled his emotions, having been a necessity earlier rather than a personal choice as it was now, but the devotion of the house elves, the portraits of this ancestors and Aquila had moved him deeply. But today wasn't like any of this other birthdays. Today was the day he would become The Potter. After today, Albus Dumbledore would find it near impossible to control him through legal means.

He got up, finished his chores and dressed for the day in red and silver robes, the Potter family colours. He walked down the marble staircase, just as many of the portraits wished him. He knew the routine, so immediately entered the entrance hall and stepped outside. He walked on the path created in the middle of the lush, beautiful gardens for several minutes until he reached the lake. All the two hundred of the family's house elves shouted "Happy birthday Master Hadrian" as he approached them. Harry smiled and thanked them and told them to enjoy themselves. He had understood over time that house elves as a species loved to make merry as much as they loved to work.

Harry watched as his thunderbird familiar slowly landed next to him. He heard Aquila's voice inside his mind, "Happy Birthday little one. I can sense today is an important day. The decisions you make from this day onward is going to shape you for life. Don't bow down to anyone, but at the same time listen to the wise and people who truly care about you. And don't ever forget that I'm always here by your side."

Harry's eyes welled with tears as he hugged the giant bird. "I know Aquila. I wouldn't even be where I am if not for you. I am about to take on the duties and responsibilities of my family today. As much as I think I'm ready and willing, I also wish I could be a regular eleven-year-old boy. But whatever the case, today is my birthday and I'm going to enjoy it. Later today, you and I are going on a long flight", he said and grinned.

After breakfast, Harry walker deep into the castle, and entered the ward room. The last time he had been here, he had been fighting for his life. He took a deep breath and entered the ritual circle. He looked at the Potter Crest directly in front of him. It was a large rectangle which was painted deep red, where two silver griffins faced each other, and between them was a golden shield with two swords and a large red 'P' at the centre. He read the family motto below the crest, "Natus Vincere", which translated to "Born to Conquer."

"I, Hadrian James Potter, Heir of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Potter, do hereby swear by wearing this ring to uphold the values and traditions of my family. As Lord Potter, I swear to bring back my family's honour and strive for the betterment of my magical brethren. This I swear, so mote it be!"

Harry closed his eyes as the family magic swirled around him. It judged him to see if he was worthy, and after what seemed like an eternity to him, the silver and red aura around him settled into his skin. The Lord's ring appeared in his right ring finger and the heir's ring disappeared from his left ring finger. He slowly opened his eyes and took deep breaths. He could feel the wards around Potter Castle and now also had information pertaining to the various other properties as well. Any important, secret information which was only ever shared from one Lord Potter to the next settled into his mind. He looked at the ring. It was made of Platinum and had a large red diamond with the Potter crest visible on the stone with immaculate detail, something which would be impossible without magic.

Harry was now the Lord of the Potter family. He had used an ancient law that had been enacted by the Wizengamot and was also mentioned in the Potter family Charter. If the heir of an Ancient family was the last of the line, he could claim his headship on his eleventh or fourteenth birthday and be considered as an emancipated minor. Albus Dumbledore was no longer his magical guardian. He could not legally use his influence to make Harry bend to his wishes. But this was only the first step. But for now, he had to go to Gringotts. He had a certain Will to read.