Chapter 19

The Wizengamot functioned as both the Legislative and Judicial bodies of the British Magical government. Half the seats were comprised of Most Ancient and Noble Houses like Potter, Longbottom, Greengrass and Black; Ancient and Noble Houses like Bones, Smith, Nott, Macmillan and Lestrange; and finally Noble Houses like Malfoy, Davis, and Selwyn. Although the Malfoys were only a Noble House, they tended to throw their weight around by bribing others to get their work done. They were a family not of British origin and had migrated to the place after been booted out of France. It was widely speculated that Lucius Malfoy's father had bribed several members of the Wizengamot and the Ministry to get their family ennobled. But they weren't an Ancient House, something which rattled Lucius and Draco Malfoy.

Ten to fifteen per cent of the Wizengamot was reserved for the Ministry's Department Heads and Heads of major sub-departments as well, along with the holders of Orders of Merlin and elderly, wise people from around the country like Griselda Marchbanks and Tiberius Ogden along with youth representatives. The rest of the thirty-five to forty per cent was filled by members who were directly elected by the people of Magical Britain. Those who wanted to contest for a seat had to file an application with the Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot and stand for election. The people would then vote for their candidate and the elected members would hold their seats for a period of seven years, the same tenure as the Minister of Magic and Chief Warlock.

The Minister of Magic was also voted in by the people. Any adult who was a citizen of Magical Britain meeting the required standards could contest in the election, but the candidate needed a majority vote in the Wizengamot to be able to be sworn in as Minister, along with the majority of votes cast by the people. The Chief Warlock, on the other hand, was chosen only by the members of the Wizengamot. Both positions were the highest positions a witch or wizard could hold in the British Magical world. The Minister of Magic was the face of the country, having executive powers, while the Chief Warlock acted as the speaker in case of legislative sessions and wielded judicial powers in case of trials. But the latter did not have absolute control over the judgements he delivers, as the Wizengamot may choose an alternative punishment should the majority decide that they did not agree with the decision of the Chief Warlock. The Minister represented the people and government while the Chief Warlock represented the Wizengamot. It was early during Dumbledore's third term as Chief Warlock was he impeached from office. Therefore, the government was a perfect blend of the old families; the intelligent and powerful; and the democratically elected people. This form of governance was more or less similar all over the Magical world in other countries as well.

HP*LIGHTNING LORD*HP

It was 10 AM when the members of the body assembled into the Wizengamot chamber. Unlike a regular session, an emergency session did not specify the agenda for the day as it usually was called for high profile criminal cases, which were passed on to the Wizengamot instead of dealing with it at the Council of Magical Law, where the usual trials took place. Legislative matters were usually carried out during the regular sessions.

Harry was wearing well-designed robes for the occasion, as he stood next to Cedric Diggory who mutely nodded to him. Harry watched as Albus Dumbledore took his seat along with the other members, with a grim smile on his face. The old man had not been able to retake his position of Chief Warlock; instead, Dowager Lady Acton was elected to the post. She was from the grey faction and had a strict no-nonsense expression on her face. She called the Wizengamot in session.

"Madam Bones" she boomed. "What is the agenda for this session?"

"We have a man who has been accused of sexual harassment and attempted rape of two minor boys, both students at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry" she Amelia.

The chamber was deathly still as rape was an extremely serious offence in the magical world, especially if the victims were minors. "Who is the accused and who are the victims, Madam Bones?" asked Lady Acton.