Chapter 37

Several hours later, they reached Hogsmeade station. It was raining heavily at this point, and people were reluctant to get out. Harry and Daphne calmly got out and pointed their wands in the air. A small flick of light appeared at the tip of their wands as invisible magical umbrellas protected them from the rain. Getting the hint, the rest of the students used their wands to remain dry as well and soon they entered the carriages and into the castle. Harry walked to the Ravenclaw table and sat next to his year mates and started chatting with them about their summer. When the first years arrived, many of them were shivering due to the cold since they were soaking wet. Harry frowned. Surely McGonagall could fire some drying charms on those poor kids. Harry pointed his wand at them and started casting warming and drying charms at the first years. Only when he was finished did anyone realise what he had done and the first years blushed and thanked him while McGonagall went pink in the face. Soon, the sorting began and the students were sorted into their houses.

"I have many announcements for you" said Dumbledore smiling at everyone. "But first, tuck in!" With that, the food appeared on the tables and everyone happily started eating.

Harry was happily chatting with various Ravenclaws when Padma Patil asked, "Who's going to be our Defence teacher this year?"

That question brought conversations to a halt as many were curious as well. "There's no one here" said Terry Boot, looking at the staff table. "Maybe Dumbledore will teach us again?"

"I doubt it" said Harry. But just then the food vanished and Dumbledore got up to speak. There was a hush in the hall now as Dumbledore gave his usual speech. "Now, I have great pleasure in announcing that this year at Hogwarts -"

But he was interrupted when the door of the Great Hall banged open with a thud. Harry turned and his eyes widened when he recognised the person standing there. If Alastor Moody was going to be their new Defence teacher, it was going to be a fun ride indeed. He had read from his father's journal that Moody was an outstanding Auror, and he was hard as nails. This would be a wonderful educational opportunity.

Dumbledore introduced the school to their new Defence teacher and continued said "We are to have the honour of hosting a very exciting event over the coming months, an event that has not been held for over a century. It is my very great pleasure to inform you that the Triwizard Tournament will be taking place at Hogwarts this year."

"You're JOKING!" said Fred Weasley and this set off the school as everybody laughed. Dumbledore then explained about the tournament and about the new rule that only those who were above the age of seventeen could take part in it. He said that an impartial judge would select the champions who will compete for the Triwizard Cup, the glory and five thousand galleons personal prize money.

Harry narrowed his eyes. Something about the way Dumbledore spoke about it seemed off and he wasn't going to take any chances. He would be damned if he were to be forced to participate in this madness. He would have to take necessary steps to ensure that nothing unusual happened. Once the announcement was done, Harry returned to Ravenclaw tower and spent several hours talking to his housemates. Girls especially were eager to talk to him which made Harry a bit uncomfortable. Finally, at two in the morning, he entered his room, made his annual changes and went to bed.

HP*LIGHTNING LORD*HP

Harry was seething once Care of Magical Creatures class was finished. What was Dumbledore thinking in appointing Hagrid as a teacher? While there was no denying that the half-giant knew a lot about magical creatures, he just couldn't understand that many of those creatures were dangerous and deadly to witches and wizards. He wondered if Hagrid would have been expelled anyway without Riddle's interference all those years ago.