Chapter 24

"Welcome back, Lord Gryffindor"

Harry blushed brightly. But he couldn't ignore the various injuries he had suffered any more. Just then, suddenly Ginny Weasley woke up with a groan. Her eyes travelled to the giant basilisk corpse to a blood-soaked, injured Harry standing next to it.

"Harry – oh, Harry. I wanted to tell you today at dinner, but you kept avoiding me. It was me, Riddle m- made me do it. I s-swear. Where's Riddle? The last t-thing I remember - " said Ginny.

"It's alright" said Harry, his emotionless mask slipping back into place. "Riddle is finished. And I know you're not to blame either. You were possessed by what was clearly a dark artefact. Let's go. We both need medical attention. Hopefully, both of us can come out of this without any long lasting damage, though I'm doubtful" he said looking at his right hand. Were the phoenix tears enough to counter the poison that had spread all over this body?

Ginny was babbling about her getting expelled, but Harry did not pay much attention. Fawkes was waiting for them, hovering in the Chamber entrance. Harry urged Ginny forward; they stepped back into the tunnel as the great stone doors closed behind them with a hiss.

Harry took the sword and hat with one hand, pocketed the diary and grabbed Fawkes's tail feathers with the other. He asked Ginny to grab his leg and they flew up the pipe until finally, they reached Myrtle's bathroom.

"You're alive" she said flatly.

"Sorry about that Myrtle, but it looks like I won't be sharing your bathroom after all" said Harry dryly as he escorted Ginny out.

"Where now?" asked Ginny.

"Hospital Wing" said Harry as he limped along. He was in terrible pain as the numbing charms didn't seem to have an effect any longer. Tears picked his eyes; hopefully, Madam Pomfrey would be able to heal him soon.

But before that, he decided that there was something more important than that. "Toby" he said.

"Yes, Master Hadrian? Master, what happened to you?" asked Toby shocked at Harry's appearance.

"You and the rest of the elves can yell at me later Toby" said Harry smiling slightly. "But for now, I want you to take this sword and this diary and place it in the high-security vault in my study at Potter Castle. And make sure to increase the wards around the study as well, just in case. Instruct the elves not to touch it. The sword is coated with basilisk venom and this is its fang" he explained.

Toby nodded and popped away with the sword and the diary. Ginny was gaping at Harry "Potter Castle?" she asked disbelievingly.

"My home, that's where I live" explained Harry as he limped along to the Hospital wing, Ginny following him and idly wondering how rich Harry really was. Once they approached, he opened the door and went in. Harry mentally groaned when he saw several people there. It looked like they were in the process of giving the Mandrake Draught to the students. All of the petrified victims were sitting on their beds, along with Madam Pomfrey, Horace Slughorn and Lord and Lady Greengrass. His heart skipped a beat when he saw Daphne sitting on her bed, her eyes red with tears, but her expression stony.

"Harry, Miss Weasley!" shouted Slughorn. "We received reports that Miss Weasley was taken into the chamber and that Harry went in after her. What happened?"

"The danger of the Chamber of Secrets has passed, Professor. But right now, we need medical attention. Madam Pomfrey?" he asked looking at the Hogwarts resident healer.

Just then, the doors of the Hospital Wing burst open and Professors Dumbledore, McGonagall and Mr and Mrs Weasley came in. Harry and Daphne made eye contact and both snorted and rolled their eyes. There was an almighty scream.