Chapter 29

"Expecto Patronum" he said. A white mist formed from his wand but disappeared quickly. Next to him, Daphne repeated the same but wasn't successful either.

"I have never struggled to learn a spell, ever" said Harry irritably, taking a seat.

"I have to agree it is quite hard" replied Daphne, sitting opposite to him.

They had both started practicing the Patronus charm, but it was proving to be exceptionally difficult. The charm needed a happy memory, but no matter how much Harry tried, he just couldn't get it. They had been trying for a month now, with no success. Nothing much had happened during the month. A manhunt was organised to track down Pettigrew. The sensors around Britain were tightened so that he could not leave the country. So far, there was no luck in finding him.

"It's so frustrating!" yelled Harry. "I have some happy memories. Why can't I do it?"

They both sat quietly for several minutes, when Daphne spoke out saying, "What if we are looking at this the wrong way? What if the happy memory alone isn't enough? What if there is the emotional component that is required?"

Harry sat up straight. "Just like how the Unforgivable curses need emotion to power them?" he asked.

"Exactly" replied Daphne. "Let's give it a try"

Harry closed his eyes and thought back to when he was happiest, but unfortunately, it was proving to be very difficult. He had spent a whole month on this spell! How could he not get it right? He opened his eyes out of frustration and looked at Daphne. She had her eyes closed and was meditating.

His happiest memories had been with Daphne. She was the bright spot in his life; the one who was always there for him and loved him. Sirius and Amelia cared about him too; his devoted elves who loved him always, without a cause. And finally, his beloved thunderbird familiar, his brother. He always had Aquila. He let the emotions of happiness and love he had for them fill him up. Daphne, Aquila, Sirius, Amelia, and others – he loved them all. He thought about his parents; how much his dad loved him. How his mother used to tease his father by calling him the most whipped dad on the planet, looking at the way James would shamelessly play with Harry for the baby's amusement in the weirdest ways. His mother hadn't been anything less. He thought about all the love they had showered on him when he was just a baby. Tears leaked from his eyes as he thought about them all as he whispered "Expecto Patronum"

Something large and silvery shot out of his wand. It wasn't defined, so Harry pumped in more emotion into the spell. He thought about the moment when Daphne had given him the photo album, their first kiss –

The silvery mass expanded. A beak showed up, followed by a face and neck, wings, more wings, a tail and finally another pair of wings. His Patronus was a Thunderbird.

"Aquila" whispered Harry, his voice thick with emotion.

"He's beautiful" said Daphne, coming to stand beside him.

The large thunderbird Patronus came forward for Harry to touch it. Harry extended his hand and touched its neck. It stood more than twelve feet in height, towering over them. Harry could feel happiness and love radiating from it. The touch felt so different, as if he was connecting to his soul. After several seconds, it disappeared.

"What's the secret?" asked Daphne.

Harry breathed deeply to get his voice under control. "You were right. It needs powerful emotions to power it. You need to feel the happiness and love, only then would you be able to create a fully corporeal Patronus. You might want to take your time, though. Let the emotions fill you" he said in a shaky voice.