Chapter 32

The next two months at Hogwarts seemed to fly by. Harry and Daphne again spent a lot of time in the Room of Requirement studying. Harry, of course, was way ahead and was now more than halfway through the seventh year material. It was going at a slower rate than he would have liked, but NEWT material was quite difficult. His target was to finish the NEWT material before Yule, so he was working rigorously. Daphne wasn't any less, who was now close to finishing fourth-year material.

So far, Peter Pettigrew hadn't been spotted by anyone, and the Magical Daily was quick to point out that he might have escaped the country. Unfortunately, Minister Fudge was not buying it and was convinced that Pettigrew would attack Harry, and so the dementors were still placed at Hogwarts, much to everyone's displeasure.

On Halloween, there was a Hogsmeade trip scheduled. Harry and Daphne were looking forward to go on a date to the village. That morning after breakfast, the couple stepped outside the castle, on their way to Hogsmeade when someone shouted "Mr Potter!"

Harry groaned silently and turned back. Professor McGonagall was looking at him with an annoyed expression on her face. "Where do you think you're going, Mr Potter?" she asked.

Harry simply raised an eyebrow. "Hogsmeade, Professor" he replied slowly. "Is there a problem?"

"I didn't receive a letter from your guardian saying that you could go, Potter" said McGonagall in a no-nonsense voice. Daphne got a distinct feeling that Minerva McGonagall could very well have been like Hermione Granger when she was in school. Her attitude really was very annoying.

"Besides" she continued. "The Headmaster doesn't think it is appropriate for you to go to the village during these troubled times. So in you go."

Harry simply stared at her. Daphne was about to say something, but Harry squeezed her hand, letting her know that he would handle it.

"Professor, let me remind you that I'm emancipated" said Harry calmly. "That means I don't require a guardian's permission for anything, which includes going to Hogsmeade. Professor Flitwick, my Head of House knows this, and he has no objection in me going to the village. And please clarify as to what troubled times you're talking about. As far as I'm concerned, the past two months have been quite peaceful."

McGonagall's eye twitched. "I'm talking about Peter Pettigrew" she said stiffly. "He is after you, and the dementors are here solely for your protection and it is irresponsible for you to - "

"Sorry to interrupt you Professor" said Daphne. "But there is absolutely no proof that Pettigrew is here and wants to attack Harry. That was a story built by Minister Fudge. It is also a misconception that the dementors are stationed here at Hogwarts only for Harry's protection; it was done by Minister Fudge again who wants the people to know that 'he is seen to be doing something'. Personally, I feel that the dementors are more of a threat than Pettrigrew, as we don't even know how many of them are guarding the castle. If they attack, we're all in trouble. As for the Headmaster's opinion, please thank him for caring about my fiancé's well-being; unfortunately, his decision to act as Harry's guardian comes several years too late. Thank you for your time, Professor McGonagall" she said, grabbed Harry's hand tighter and pulled him away from the shocked Transfiguration teacher.

"Wow" whispered Harry. "You really know how to throw a mean punch."

Daphne smirked. There was a reason her Patronus had taken the form of a Nundu and her animagus form was what it was. Harry had bet ten Galleons that he would figure out what her form was. She knew without a doubt that she would win. While she had met her animal form, it was a slow process to merge with it. So far, there was little progress, but she was confident that she would be able to do it.