Chapter 42

It was the evening of the Yule Ball. Harry looked at himself in the large mirror in front of him, apparently satisfied with his appearance. He was wearing a silk shirt of sapphire blue which perfectly matched Daphne's dress; a silver vest and tie; black trousers; and his black robe was expertly styled and was made of very expensive Acromantula silk, with sapphire blue highlights. The robe was the same he had worn for Sirius's wedding, but he had gotten it altered and the colour of highlights changed from silver to blue. He looked down and saw his basilisk hide boots. They were very fashionable, as he had got them commissioned by the best person for the job who lived in France. The witch was startled by the basilisk hide as they were not at all available in large amounts; getting access even an inch of it was extremely difficult, but she designed them without question. They gleamed black under the lightning charms but would gleam blackish green in sunlight. He looked at his wrists and saw a watch Sirius had gifted him a couple of years ago, and on the right was Daphne's newest present – a bracelet designed for men with protection charms which could detect poisons and potions. They weren't strictly legal as the magic used on the bracelet was questionable, but Harry didn't care; it was dead useful. The bracelet was a chain, with gold on the inside and several diamonds on the outside. Harry didn't even want to ask her how much it had cost as he knew it was ridiculously expensive. The shopkeeper who sold it to her must have been showering blessings and praises at Daphne for just buying it and giving him so much money.

Both Harry and Daphne were in the Room of Requirement as they wanted to go together and not separately. So he stepped out of his dressing room and waited for Daphne. After about five minutes, she came out. Harry looked at her and his breath caught in his throat.

Daphne was wearing a sapphire blue knee length dress, with several silver highlights and designs on it. It too was expertly made by a designer in France and it fit her perfectly. The dress was sleeveless and it articulated her breasts and curves very well. Elizabeth Greengrass had given her daughter access to the family jewellery; so Daphne was wearing a beautiful diamond and sapphire necklace (no doubt to impress her fiancé), matching long diamond earrings, and a matching bracelet. On her left wrist was Harry's newest gift to her – a beautiful watch which Daphne absolutely loved (Harry had made it a priority to take Cyrus with him for his usual Yule shopping; this time Elizabeth was raving about the gifts her husband had got her, and his father-in-law had thanked him profusely, making Harry even more loved by the Greengrasses; baby Dylan especially loved Harry and Daphne often complained that her baby brother loved her fiancé more than he loved her, his own sister) and was wearing a pair of silver coloured heels to compliment the dress. Her hair too was expertly styled, and she left it long as Harry preferred it that way; she also had a matching diamond sapphire ornament in place to hold her hair. Long story short, she was drop dead gorgeous. Fleur would have some intense competition in case people wondered who would be considered the best looking girl at the ball.

"What do you think?" she asked softly, looking at the shocked expression on her fiancé's face.

"You are so beautiful" whispered Harry. "And I'm so glad you're mine."

Daphne giggled. "Thanks, Harry. You look very handsome as well. Should I be worried about a certain Veela friend of yours who might try to snatch you up?" she asked amused.

Harry rolled his eyes. Daphne had developed a friendship with the Beauxbatons champion, and he was sure that she had set the older girl up with some boy. He didn't know who as she wasn't telling, but he knew that she was no way insecure about his feelings. Harry had no idea that Fleur was indeed attracted to him. Daphne had realised that she had to take care of it, so instead of blowing things out of proportion and losing a possible ally, she set her up with someone else. She wouldn't let anyone sniff her fiancé. Hopefully, by the end of the night, Fleur would be attracted to her date and not Harry. If not, well, Daphne would use more subtle but forceful methods to reason with the Veela.