Chapter 10

7:54 a

                                 7:54 a.m

I entered the training room again; many were warming up, while others were sitting, waiting for Four to start. I went to the bench where I had left my jacket, my cap, and my water bottle. When Four left, I got distracted, looking at the floor, forgetting my surroundings for a few minutes because I felt exposed. It was the first time I had told anyone about the problem with my father, and I must admit I had hoped for a bit of empathy from him, or at least a grimace showing sadness. But nothing, he just showed indifference, and again, I felt pathetic. He had no obligation to empathize with me, or even talk to me. I'm in Dauntless, and I had to behave as such. So, I started to warm up and stretch, exercising a bit until it was 7, then I went to get something very light to eat and take for the day.

Someone touched my shoulder; it was Tiana and Andrea, who both had a concerned look. "Grace, where were you? You worried us," my friend, the redhead, spoke.

I smiled to ease the atmosphere. "I had insomnia, so I went for a run and then to the cafeteria," I explained, nodding. Andrea squeezed my shoulder and nodded as well. That girl was very smart; she knew something was bothering me.

"Jade started boasting, saying she always knew you wouldn't make it and that you're probably at the bottom of the abyss or with the Abnegation," Grace said, rolling her eyes. "I wanted to shut her up, but Eric showed up and rushed us."

Ian and Jim approached; the green-eyed brunette stood by my side. "You worried me; I really thought you were dead or worse, abandoned," he said, gripping my shoulders with immense concern in his eyes.

I laughed. "I had insomnia, so I went for a run," I said confidently.

"Speaking of the rabid dog," Tiana whispered, looking towards the entrance.

I turned around; Jean was coming in, with the girls at her side and a displeased expression on her face. I turned back to my friends and sighed.

"I didn't think I had a bodyguard who was so concerned about me, not even my father cared for me as much as that bitch did," I said with a smile.

The guys started laughing, and the constant feeling of being watched appeared again. Four made his entrance, walking amidst the gazes of the others to position himself beside the board.

"Alright, listen up," he spoke, and we all walked over to stand in front of him. He looked at each of us until his gaze landed on me, lingering for an extra second. I didn't look away; I wouldn't allow him to see my weakness again. I shifted my gaze to Andrea, where I could see her eyes relaxing.

"You've been given six days of training and techniques, the basics. Today officially marks the beginning of the fights. What happens in these fights will affect your ranking. I advise you to give your best effort; it will help you improve later on. There will be four fights per day, followed by weapon training," he explained.