Chapter 16

We entered Amity, passing through the wooden wall, and a shiver ran down my spine

We entered Amity, passing through the wooden wall, and a shiver ran down my spine. I forgot to breathe for several seconds as I bit my thumb. The conversation with Eric died as soon as I mentioned my father. We advanced a couple of kilometers and entered the place—a place I swore I'd never return to.

I admit it, my legs tremble at the mere thought of seeing him, even from a distance, and I didn't want that. I was grateful that Eric wouldn't be one to linger, he was just going for a signature.

Although I could find something good in this—I'd see Joanna. I missed her so much, missed her chamomile tea and her hugs.

He parked the truck outside the stables, where Joanna's office was located above.

He turned off the engine, leaving the keys in the ignition. We both turned to look at each other.

"I'll talk to Joanna, get her signature, and we'll leave. You can come out if you want, but don't wander off and don't take too long. You're supposed to be in punishment." Eric's demanding voice made my heart pound so deeply that my skin prickled.

"What punishment would you have given me in Dauntless ?" I asked with intrigue.

He grinned maliciously, cruelty flashing in his eyes. "I could have hung you over the abyss, but it would have been more fun to torment you until you fell in on your own."

I let out an "oh" of surprise and terror. He proceeded to get out of the truck with a satisfied smile, having accomplished his goal: to unsettle me.

I got out of the vehicle and walked toward Eric, as Joanna was approaching him. She looked up and smiled politely at him, then glanced quickly behind him at me. I offered a nervous smile as she gasped in astonishment.

"Grace, you're here." she exclaimed, walking toward me and completely ignoring the leader, who looked bewildered and surprised.

We joined in a tight, warm hug, closing my eyes and enjoying the warmth of her touch.

"I missed you, Joanna." I whispered in the embrace, my voice choked with emotion.

We pulled apart, and she stroked my cheek tenderly. "Darling, I missed you too. But look at you." she said, taking my arms to examine me. "You've changed so much, you're a true member of Dauntless now. You make me proud."

My chest swelled as I nodded, tears threatening to spill. I hugged her again, not caring that Eric was watching.

*********************

As I wandered through the stables, Eric had gone up to the office with Joanna, and their conversation was strictly confidential. As an initiate, I wasn't allowed to eavesdrop, so I was practically hiding out in the stables. I didn't want Norman to know I was here, although I wasn't sure if he still had power over me. I didn't want to find out.