Chapter 44

Everything was very dark, I felt a blindfold around my eyes with ropes tying my wrists and ankles, a constant movement made me jump, so I deduced I was in a car

Everything was very dark, I felt a blindfold around my eyes with ropes tying my wrists and ankles, a constant movement made me jump, so I deduced I was in a car. I leaned my head back, it's likely I was in a trunk, the heat is overwhelming. It's curious, I wasn't afraid, I remained calm while my other senses sharpened. I knew I was in the simulation and Four behind the screen watching me with an unfriendly expression. I should untie myself, try to remove these ropes since my intuition tells me this is just the beginning. I felt with my fingers the ropes around my hands, they were difficult to remove, very tight and impossible to take off.

The moving car stopped, so I stopped, listening as the door opened and the sound of several footsteps grew louder. The trunk was opened, and immediately they grabbed my hands, pulling me out of the car, causing me to slam against the very hot ground. The strip of fabric was removed from my eyes, and the daylight made me close them again.

James was there, the only one in the place, frowning at me. We were outside the bay, far from Amity where the sea used to be and now was land, in the distance was the abandoned, rusted ship.The man in front of me pulled out a knife. I'm not afraid of death with just a knife. However, it wasn't like that, he crouched down and cut the ropes from my feet. "I've been waiting for this moment for so long," he sighed, letting out a laugh. "I'll enjoy it like you can't imagine."

I was confused, I didn't understand anything, and he didn't allow me to think; his fist simply collided with my face, making my head hit the ground. "Did you really think Eric would have you under his wing for so long?" he grabbed me by the neck, depriving me of oxygen as he lifted me up. "You're already trash, and I'll gladly throw out the trash." He spat at me.

Another blow struck my face, and the metallic taste quickly emanated from my lip. "Do you realize that your male pride was hurt, and that's why you behave like an idiot?" I laughed.

It wasn't the real James; I knew I wasn't talking to him, but it was a good way to express myself, to shout at the fictional James to be prepared for the real one. He grabbed my hair forcefully and lifted me completely, revealing a pile of wood and dry herbs with a wooden pole in the middle.

Oh no, now I understand. He's going to burn me alive. I recoiled, my pulse racing, and his malicious laughter erupted from his throat.

"Did I say throw out the trash? Sorry, I meant I'll burn the trash." he yanked me harder, hurting my scalp.

He let me fall onto the pile of wood, bringing with it a very uncomfortable pain as the wood spikes pierced my skin. This isn't real, I was fully aware of that. But I have to start thinking like Dauntless and not like Divergent. My pride forbids me from asking for support from Freya and apologizing to Four. I want to do this alone and have them be the ones to apologize. I have to fight not to be burned alive.As I lay there, a barrage of blows continued to rain down on my face, almost rendering me unconscious. My vision blurred, and an uncomfortable buzzing began to sound in my ear, did he rupture my eardrum? Is that possible? This is too realistic. He effortlessly lifted me, securing a rope around my shoulders to keep me standing, then continued with my legs.